Redbeeerd

Separate 45k21 from table + spare part question

Heya!

I might buy a 45k21 but there is probably need for a new rotary hook: is this part hard to find/replace?

Also, how hard is it to separate the machine from the table?

These shuttle hooks are still available check with College Sewing in the UK ,there's 4-bolts holding the head to the table.

The 45K machine has an oscillating barrel hook but no rotary hook. ;)

Hooks are available on Ebay as well but College Sewing indeed has some 45K parts in stock - not many though. But in case you will order from them order make sure you buy a the 2 components of the check spring as spare - better too have than to need. I would also buy 1 or 2 thumb nuts for the tension units as well (same reason). If you cannot find the parts enter the parts number form the parts list

BTW the 45K tension unit on Ebay (for GA5 machines) do not work properly - guess how I know.

If you have pictures of the machine please post them so maybe we can detect missing / broken parts.

The seller says she thinks it has a walking foot but is not sure. Doesn't matter too much to me, it is in working condition and I payed $250 for it. Pictures:

Screenshot_20230317-132913~2.png?raw=1

Screenshot_20230317-132918~2.png?raw=1

Screenshot_20230317-132906.png?raw=1

Edited by Redbeeerd

Just what I can tell from the picture:

Machine appears to be in very nice condition overall, however, I do not see a presser foot and the needle hole throat in the plate is damaged and the machine seems to be not correctly threaded. I´m not sure if the check spring is there (or broke) cannot tell from the picture. At least the thread is not going through the check spring - thats why I think it could me missing or is broken.

It´s not a walking foot machine. It is a plain drop feed machine.

Edited by Constabulary

The machine is now officially mine although a friend is storing it for me until I can go pick it up which is a 1700km round-trip (big bonus: road trip + hanging out which doesn't happen too often)

IMG_20230318_104624.jpg?raw=1

Bring lots of beer and Kielbasa when you go to pick up your machine from your friend!

Looks nice, and it now has a foot.

50 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Bring lots of beer and Kielbasa when you go to pick up your machine from your friend!

:cheers:

I do every time, and every time we agree that it's a bad idea but still essential :crazy:

By the way, there seems to be a 45k58 with a walking/jumping foot: is that specific for that particular machine or could that be added to any 45k? I understand it's generally not something easily done.

The Singer 45K jump foot system foot cannot be added to machines w/o jump foot. Well, maybe - if you have enough milling machinery and so forth, money, time and patience.

Quick try for an explanation: The 45K jump foot is controlled by a notch on the cam that also controls the thread lever the 45K21 (afaik) does not have this notch so you have to to pull the top shaft to replace the cam or the whole shaft . There is a piston (kind of) sitting in the top side of the casting and the notch is pushing up the piston at the moment the foot is at its rear position then the foot releases and is jumping to the front. The 45K58 has a flat top on the casting head where the piston is mounted whereas the 45K21 doe not have this flat top. Then the 45K58 has a leaf spring on the rear (just like the Singer 29K4 f.i.) and that requires a special mounting which the 45K21 machines do not have. Not speaking of possible the differences in the casting on the rear side to accommodate the moving foot bar and differences in the face plate.... This is just what comes to my mind...

BTW

The check spring indeed is broke or missing. College Sewing in the UK has them:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/parts-by-machine/singer-sewing-machine-parts/singer-45k-parts

You either need just the inner part with the thread loop or both parts.

45K check spring .jpg

Edited by Constabulary

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

The Singer 45K jump foot system foot cannot be added to machines w/o jump foot. Well, maybe - if you have enough milling machinery and so forth, money, time and patience.

Quick try for an explanation: The 45K jump foot is controlled by a notch on the cam that also controls the thread lever the 45K21 (afaik) does not have this notch so you have to to pull the top shaft to replace the cam or the whole shaft . There is a piston (kind of) sitting in the top side of the casting and the notch is pushing up the piston at the moment the foot is at its rear position then the foot releases and is jumping to the front. The 45K58 has a flat top on the casting head where the piston is mounted whereas the 45K21 doe not have this flat top. Then the 45K58 has a leaf spring on the rear (just like the Singer 29K4 f.i.) and that requires a special mounting which the 45K21 machines do not have. Not speaking of possible the differences in the casting on the rear side to accommodate the moving foot bar and differences in the face plate.... This is just what comes to my mind...

BTW

The check spring indeed is broke or missing. College Sewing in the UK has them:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/parts-by-machine/singer-sewing-machine-parts/singer-45k-parts

You either need just the inner part with the thread loop or both parts.

45K check spring .jpg

Have you ever written, or considered writing, a book? I bet the sales on this forum alone would cover the printing costs :yes:

I actually do have 5 years work experience when it comes to milling and metal work in general. At the moment I don't have access to a workshop but it is in the works. If it's a matter of making or modifying parts, and if the cast iron casing allows for it, it will be a fun project.

Edited by Redbeeerd