Sign in to follow this  
Broncsnapper

Seat strainer

Recently purchased a seat strainer from Weaver leather. This is the first time I’ve ever built a saddle, and trying to figure out the proper method for installation. I can understand how to do a two piece, but this one piece is kind of confusing to me. Does anybody have any suggestions or a place where I can see the installation of the one piece strainer? 

56 minutes ago, Broncsnapper said:

This is the first time I’ve ever built a saddle

Moved your post to saddle construction.

Since you are using a metal seat strainer, the best tutorial that I have found is Jeremiah Watt's DVD on saddle making.  There are a couple of videos on You Tube that may be helpful: one is David Mills video.  The one problem with buying a strainer from Weaver is that their strainers may be too short for a seat over 15 inches.  A good source for strainers is Montana Leather.  There, you can talk with someone that can measure the strainer to make sure it will fit your saddle before you purchase it.  I have taken to making my own strainers from 22 ga. stock that you can find in a hardware store (i.e. True Value).  This way you can cut it to fit the length, width, and stirrup slots to match your tree bars and your purpose.  

Ron

Thank you I will watch those videos and call Montana leather