SeanBroecker

Please help with identification and service information

That's a Singer class 51W tall post bed machine with a roller foot. I haven't seen one with such a tall post before from Singer. How tall is it? I have a 168G that has a 7 inch post and compound feed walking foot drive.

That post about 13-15" high?  You need a bobbin cover but without the front and back cover plate, no way to keep them on.  Could be a great machine!!

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

On 3/18/2023 at 1:45 PM, SeanBroecker said:

Recently acquired post bed

Please upload your photos here.  Using 3rd party hosts often results in loss of photos due to host changes in policies, OP deleting or moving the photos, etc.  This results in the thread being useless to users that want to review and learn from your post in the future. 

All you need to do is to resize your photos to fit the restrictions of this site.  Lots of helps on the web, and see this post for some helps and suggestions.  You can also open your photos in MS Paint assuming you have a PC and resize and save the file.  If you are using a cell phone, you can set the size of file for your photos.  1024 pixels wide is fine and what I used to post your photos in the original post in this thread.  Photo files are about 350 kB in size versus about 3 MB.

Some users live on the fringes of the internet.  It may take hours to download large photos in some cases.  So smaller files are an added bonus for these users.

So please upload the photos that I haven't fixed for you.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:26 PM, Wizcrafts said:

That's a Singer class 51W tall post bed machine with a roller foot. I haven't seen one with such a tall post before from Singer. How tall is it? I have a 168G that has a 7 inch post and compound feed walking foot drive.

The post is just shy of 12 inches.  I believe we have all the parts.  The biggest problems:

don't know what needle is correct

Looks like gear shifted on lower shaft and doesn't mesh to turn hook

Stitch length ??

What manual would be the best and where do I get it? 

Thanks! 

phpBAHGtBAM.jpg

phpj3GVJFAM.jpg

phpTHDcd4AM.jpg

Edited by SeanBroecker
Remove picture link

6 hours ago, SeanBroecker said:

don't know what needle is correct

Originally, the Singer 51 series machines used system 126 or 128 needles. These may be rare and hard to match. It may be simpler to replace the needle bar with a common bar that takes either system DBx1 or 135x16/17 needles. An industrial sewing machine dealer may have a cross reference chart to find a compatible needle or needle bar.

So, any Singer series 51 manual specifically for servicing? 

47 minutes ago, SeanBroecker said:

So, any Singer series 51 manual specifically for servicing? 

I found a few online manuals for some of the model 51 machines. But, none match you tall arm machine. That's where a long time industrial sewing machines dealer might be of more help. You could justify the phone call consulting time by purchasing needles, bobbins, thread, oil, thread snips, etc. PM me for a number.

Good you have the post covers and the bobbin cover.  12 " post  damn!  Service should be the same on this as and 51 post with roller feet,

glenn