Sign in to follow this  
Sham

45k25 repair, replace?

Man, I just spend a bunch of money and time getting my machine serviced, and it was great briefly, but now it only makes tiny stitches and a little intermittent. I’m airing to hear back from the mechanic, but they said something’s worn out and not holding. I think it’s the feed crank 91163, but I’m not sure. I love this machine and I’d be happy to get it going, but wondering if I should cut my losses and buy something else ? I don’t know. Anybody got some parts or recommendations? @CowboyBob @Constabulary @jimi @Wizcrafts 

w/o knowing what is worn we only can guess. I love the old 45K´s very much but to be honest they had their time and better machines are out there nowadays. Not saying they are useless but it depends on the job and the money you can spend. I´m still using my 45D91 and I`m still pleased with it and I do not have the output that would justify a CB3500 or even CB4500 . What are you sewing with your machine? However they still make clones of the 45K - its the GA5-1 / Cowboy CB105 / Cowboy CB2500 and it is well possible that some parts are interchangeable but I never tried this.

Thanks @Constabulary, I think it’s #91163

but I’m not sure. They’re going to talk to me soon from the shop. Sewing guitar straps, belts, belt loop key things, shoes.

I like the 207 thread

16 hours ago, Sham said:

Sewing guitar straps, belts, belt loop key things, shoes.

I like the 207 thread

The Cowboy Cb2500 is a clone of your 45k25. The only difference is in the presser foot. They do have a roller foot option for it. Aside from that it should be capable of handling the same sizes of thread and thickness under the foot. It also has a reversing stitch length lever, which the Singer 45 never had (to my knowledge - mine did not).

Thank you @Constabulary and @Wizcrafts

..,amazingly, I just raised the feed dog up and sewed with it, snd it was working well! I’m not convinced yet, but I am hopefull.

I wonder if the cb machine or other clone would be close enough to swap out a feed crank? I would doubt it? 
I have some techsew tension parts and needle plate that I haven’t tried yet, but look right

There’s still a fairly good market for used 45k’s if you upgrade.   I’m not actively searching for one,  but on the west coast when they do come up I’m always impressed with what they sell for.  The east coast seems to have more of them and the prices are more reasonable.

Having said that, I’d just fix it - there’s not a lot of parts in the feed setup and nothing that can’t be fixed.   

@DonInReno

thanks! Yeah, I really like old black iron stuff, prefer to keep it going. Fingers crossed. 
I looked on eBay in England, lots of em for $200-300!