DHauser

Barrel shaped Cocobolo burnishers for Dremel

Hey gang, long time not been here. Now, before you all go up in arms and say that they are everywhere, they are not. I am specifically looking for 2-3 barrel shaped cocobolo dremel held burnishers. Ive seen all the sets and all the different designs that may be wonderful. However I have most of those and the one that I use the most is a high quality barrel shaped design. For the oddest reason they seem to have disappeared from the internet. Unfortunately the last ones I found were made with an inferior cocobolo and eventually go out of shape, ie off center as they wear oddly. Years ago I found a set of three that were the best ever made just dont remember where. Unfortunately I live in a backwoods area in the mountains of North Carolina so finding a retial store wont work. Internet is it. Any clues? Ive thought about finding a pen turner and having them make a few but just have not gone that route yet. If I had a mini lathe I'd make them myself. May have to find a way to make them with my drill press. Over to you with thanks. Dave

16 minutes ago, DHauser said:

Hey gang, long time not been here. Now, before you all go up in arms and say that they are everywhere, they are not. I am specifically looking for 2-3 barrel shaped cocobolo dremel held burnishers. Ive seen all the sets and all the different designs that may be wonderful. However I have most of those and the one that I use the most is a high quality barrel shaped design. For the oddest reason they seem to have disappeared from the internet. Unfortunately the last ones I found were made with an inferior cocobolo and eventually go out of shape, ie off center as they wear oddly. Years ago I found a set of three that were the best ever made just dont remember where. Unfortunately I live in a backwoods area in the mountains of North Carolina so finding a retial store wont work. Internet is it. Any clues? Ive thought about finding a pen turner and having them make a few but just have not gone that route yet. If I had a mini lathe I'd make them myself. May have to find a way to make them with my drill press. Over to you with thanks. Dave

show us a picture if ya can. i could make them on my lathe but as you said you can make them on your drill press it would be simple. rough out your shape drill and glue your shank in and  finish turn it using a round file. in fact you could make a bigger one for your press or a hand drill that wouldn't wear out as quick.

I made mine out of oak, cut the diameter out and used like a 1/8th inched sized hole and a little glue and a shingle nail. Perfect diameter for a Dremel and use the piece in the Dremel to sand and shape to size.

I use this one - no problems at all - but it is in Australia, so maybe not of any use.

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/CTBBW/Burnishing-Wheel/pd.php