Could some one give me some advice on how to set up the timing on a Singer Model 2732. It's not a heavy duty machine it is supposed to sew zigzag and decorative stitching but everything seems out of wack. It breaks thread and sounds like things are binding internally and skips stitches; I'm sure it's the timing. Does anyone have instructions on how to set this machine? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Remove the needle plate and manually check to see if it's out of time before you start guessing if that's the problem. Have you checked if the needles bent, threaded correctly, ect?

Make sure you're using the right bobbin. Many of these older singers use a type-66 bobbin and not a type-15 you commonly see today.  You will have problems if you use a 15 in a type 66 machine. 

First thing I'd do is look at the needle bar and see if you see timing marks on the needle bar. There should be two marks if there are any marks.  The lower mark (close to the needle) is the timing mark for the hook timing, the upper mark is for setting the needle bar length.  With the needle all the way down, the upper mark should just be visible on the needle bar.  If it's not visible, you need to adjust the needle bar.   There should be a clamp inside the front face of the machine you loosen to set the needle bar.  You don't do timing till you know the needle bar height is correct.   Then once it's correct, you advance the machine from the bottom till the lower mark is right at the needle bar bushing.    At that point the hook should be right next to the needle above the needle eye hole 1/16".

If it's wrong, you need to look in the manual for where to change the hook. It's different in different machines. 

If you don't have marks, you'll have to use a ruler for this.  I'd have to look at a manual to know what heights to set it to. 

I'd suggest looking in Youtube. Seeing is better than reading my description. 

So after reading through the thread I am aware of all the basics, thread size, needle size etc. However taking the suggestions again I decided to retrace my steps with good thread, brand new needle proper for thread size and material and then retraced how I was threading the machine. Turns out due to my declining vision I missed the hook between the tensioning springs and with the new needle it worked out and started to sew properly. So just wanted to say thank you for making me retrace my steps; it fixed the problem! yeah!!!!

On a side note, there are no marks on the needle bar to assist with setting the timing. So I was wondering if anyone had any manual on how to set the timing and specs for a rather modern day Singer. I have watched some instructional video on how to set some of the machines up but would like something more detailed or specific; not sure if what I'm asking for actually exist?