This here is a mid wallet I'm working on...assembly design is mine. I'm sure the 'Eagle Eyes" among you will recognize Jim Linnell's sunflower pattern. I got it years ago, but this is the first time I've tried it. Those same sharp eyes will see a couple of tooling mistakes, but I'm trying to ignore them for now, as this is my first attempt at this pattern; I'm sure I'll have to tweak some things a bit and do it all over again. I'll post an update when it's done.

MidWalletProto_sm.thumb.jpg.15b1ceeadd037e8f006a346a08cd50b0.jpg

Beautiful worK

Edited by purplefox66

Very nice, keep at it.

I love sunflowers! Nice job.  basket weave stamps can be a booger sometimes. Thanks for showing us your progress.  Please make sure to share the finished project.

So here are the pics of the sunflower wallet in it's final form (unfinished, sad story to follow.)

mid_fin(2).thumb.JPG.b3f3bed27c80594b571efe614c823235.JPGmid_fin(1).thumb.JPG.2ffe108328ec3c4dfad380abcdabf3d0.JPG

mid_fin(4).thumb.JPG.c6e556a5cd90b323c11d363507cfc2d0.JPGmid_fin(3).thumb.JPG.5c248f2087bc8613caa8ea17eb72c6b4.JPG

Sadly, this is as far as I will go with this design, as it has some fatal flaws. No sense in throwing more time and materials at it...

First off, the horizontal lazy pockets are super awkward and create a huge amount of bulk in the wallet. They also cause the cards to stack up in a way that I can only image will actually damage the cards. No bueno.

Second, the outer stitch line for the pocket nearest the wrap around closure would project straight thru the tooling area. Lining the wallet would solve this problem, as the wallet at that end could be stitched to the lining; but, lining increases the bulk of the wallet. I'm trying to avoid bulking up wallets with extra unnecessary material. I could also reduce the tooling area, but I really like the idea of being able to cover the entire shell with contiguous tooling. Not a deal breaker though, so if I can work out the pockets problem I'll revisit this issue.

I also learned that however carefully I cut, it never seems to be quite precise enough. I'll have to learn to leave some ease at the edges and trim everything down later, but this approach introduces some other challenges that I'll have to work out...namely, how to place stitch lines, hardware and tooling windows accurately if I don't actually know where the edges of the project are?

Regardless, I learned a lot from this experience, and I still enjoyed cutting up some leather and trying to turn it into something beautiful. Thank you to everyone for taking a look. If anyone has some ideas as to how I might work out these problems, I'm all ears!

Thanks much - Mike

That tooling is way too beautiful to throw away! I would pull off the interior and scrap that and try to redo it with a more traditional pocket design.

I've done a wallet with that same shape and also ran into the issue of that stitch line going through where I didn't want it. I ended up lining it and that worked really well. My advice would be to find a really thin lining leather to help with the bulk. I used this pigskin from Springfield Leather Co https://www.springfieldleather.com/Lining-Smoothcell-Brown-SqFt

Hope this helps and please don't give up on that design, it's beautiful!

~Frau~

Fraulein - thank you for the feedback...I haven't tossed it yet, as I'm considering the very thing you suggested. I figure I may as well try to line it and see how it works out. Fingers crossed!

yea you can fix that go for it.

18 hours ago, mikesherman said:

So here are the pics of the sunflower wallet in it's final form (unfinished, sad story to follow.)

mid_fin(2).thumb.JPG.b3f3bed27c80594b571efe614c823235.JPGmid_fin(1).thumb.JPG.2ffe108328ec3c4dfad380abcdabf3d0.JPG

mid_fin(4).thumb.JPG.c6e556a5cd90b323c11d363507cfc2d0.JPGmid_fin(3).thumb.JPG.5c248f2087bc8613caa8ea17eb72c6b4.JPG

Sadly, this is as far as I will go with this design, as it has some fatal flaws. No sense in throwing more time and materials at it...

First off, the horizontal lazy pockets are super awkward and create a huge amount of bulk in the wallet. They also cause the cards to stack up in a way that I can only image will actually damage the cards. No bueno.

Second, the outer stitch line for the pocket nearest the wrap around closure would project straight thru the tooling area. Lining the wallet would solve this problem, as the wallet at that end could be stitched to the lining; but, lining increases the bulk of the wallet. I'm trying to avoid bulking up wallets with extra unnecessary material. I could also reduce the tooling area, but I really like the idea of being able to cover the entire shell with contiguous tooling. Not a deal breaker though, so if I can work out the pockets problem I'll revisit this issue.

I also learned that however carefully I cut, it never seems to be quite precise enough. I'll have to learn to leave some ease at the edges and trim everything down later, but this approach introduces some other challenges that I'll have to work out...namely, how to place stitch lines, hardware and tooling windows accurately if I don't actually know where the edges of the project are?

Regardless, I learned a lot from this experience, and I still enjoyed cutting up some leather and trying to turn it into something beautiful. Thank you to everyone for taking a look. If anyone has some ideas as to how I might work out these problems, I'm all ears!

Thanks much - Mike

I would suggest that you might save your wallet by pulling the pockets and re-doing them. Forgive my finger drawing. But maybe it will help.

you might try using a thin leather, and instead of four pieces of leather, use just two.
Folding them in half will give you the pockets.

using a double sided tape on the folded pocket on the snap area/side would close the long side. Then all you would need to stitch would be the ends, and the wallet would be usable.

EACA42D9-6352-40FA-BAE8-2C8BF4B901CB.jpeg

1 hour ago, GrampaJoel said:

I would suggest that you might save your wallet by pulling the pockets and re-doing them. Forgive my finger drawing. But maybe it will help.

you might try using a thin leather, and instead of four pieces of leather, use just two.
Folding them in half will give you the pockets.

using a double sided tape on the folded pocket on the snap area/side would close the long side. Then all you would need to stitch would be the ends, and the wallet would be usable.

EACA42D9-6352-40FA-BAE8-2C8BF4B901CB.jpeg

I think that's an end around on the weak side. 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:01 AM, mikesherman said:

We've all been there...done that. I've even thrown my  projects across the workshop after I've made a boo boo...or 2 or 3 or 4  :yes: Just re-do the interior, apart from that, it looks great. The basket weave is very well done and a nice rich colour too  :)

HS

GrampaJoel - I'm still trying to wrap my head around the diagram...but I am considering tearing off the pockets and using an earlier, working design for wallet guts...I'm pretty committed to using veg tan for the guts on this project, and this 3 oz is the thinnest I've got for now.

chuck123wapati - LMAO, seriously...
Handstitched - I'm thinkin on it...Thank you for the kind words!

Edited by mikesherman
to edit stuff