Sign in to follow this  
rdb

35 years later I tried carving again

35 years later I tried carving again. Sheesh I have a looong way to go, but at least I felt like I accomplished an overall look, with the tobacco sunburst effect ...it hid the carving well...lol

The other was my attempt at basket weaving by hand...just trying it by carving, without the stamping. Sometimes it looks like brick, sometimes like a weave, I can't tell.

Just putzing around until the skills come back into muscle memory. I may have to be reincarnated first...lol

carved1.JPG

carve2.JPG

carveweave.JPG

weave.JPG

post-5140-1194894100_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1194894115_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1194894131_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1194894148_thumb.jpg

RDB....STRAP LOOKS GREAT.. WHAT IS THE COLOR AND PROCESS TO GET IT

I used a Tan Antique at first. then an Antique Brown over that to darken the highlights. Then I used a plain Med. Brown Dye over the edge for the sunburst effect. I've matched it up to several tobacco sunburst guitars, and it fits right fine.

Like that adjustment piece on the purple burst strap. I'm assuming the keeper loop is sewn onto the billet? An old buddy of mine that has a guitar shop/performance center back on my old stomping ground has been after me to make some straps that fall into the one size fits all scheme of things and that looks like a good alternative to the ones that have all the slots on one or both ends.

As much as I like naked leather that purple shading on the edges ain't bad. Tandy gave me a bottle of that new ECO-FLOW thistle purple stain awhile back. I might have to try it out.

Mike

Don't go makin' it purple Mike....That's just my photography. In reality it's a tan base med brown edge, with red over the edge that meets (brown to red to tan) Just a different stab at a different color starburst.

That adjusting strap I came up with thirty years ago (not with the rifle sling button), it's okay, but I prefer to make it to the exact sizes, but like you, the shop owner says ADJ. is what they want. And I got a definite no to the Vintage style (thin strap through a padded shoulder), like you been making lately. I dunno why he said that, but I just do what I'm told...