Brooks125

First Shot at Cordovan

I probably should have asked ahead of time but, is there a trick to working with Cordovan on holsters?  I did find that using the 8/9oz cowhide base was pretty thick.  The second piece used a 5/6oz veg tan and molded much better.  My biggest concern came with the wet molding and losing the bright finish on the Shell.  I was mostly able to get it back with a standard polish/brush/buff, but wonder if there's a better way to work with this stuff? (By the way, that's an Ostrich Leg top strap)

20230323_191023.jpg

Edited by Brooks125

I think it is finished, it is just the angle of the picture.  I'll be honest, I don't know that I would use shell on holsters, but that's just me.  

On 3/23/2023 at 8:29 PM, Tugadude said:

I think it is finished, it is just the angle of the picture.  I'll be honest, I don't know that I would use shell on holsters, but that's just me.  

Enlarge the pic and look at the one on the right around the ostrich part.

I think they look pretty good.:yes: Personalty I'd stick with the heavier leather. I think 5 to 6 is to light for gun holsters :)

On 3/23/2023 at 9:14 PM, Burkhardt said:

You forgot to finish the edge on the one on the right and is the ostrich a veneer or did it cut really bad?

I don't finish interior edges, and the Ostrich is a veneer.  Normally I would burnish the interior edges, but the OL doesn't cut well with and edger.  That was all by design.

7 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I think they look pretty good.:yes: Personalty I'd stick with the heavier leather. I think 5 to 6 is to light for gun holsters :)

I did the heavier one first and didn't like the weight, particularly on the front bend.  With the Shell being about a 4+ (and not that absorbent) it gets pretty stiff to fold over.  It turned out OK, but the lighter one is just about right.  Shell Cordovan is certainly picky in some ways.  I don't know that I would use Shell voluntarily, but the customer "loves" it and supplied the material.  I was happy with it in the end.

Thanks for the input!

Definitely cut your ostrich leg the other way, or at an angle.  I know it's less efficient cutting, but when you cut lengthwise - like this - you get separation of the 'scales' - like this.  

When using ostrich leg (which is fine to use, BTW), always plan the layout of the cut so the 'scales' are not in line with a bend or contour, "flexing' them apart.  They can bend AROUND the contour side to side (on the bird) jus' fine.  :wavey:

20200609_072427.jpgosstrichbend.jpg