WiscoSam

Good method to dye and finish a hand/tote bag

I am working on making another one of these tote bag things like you see in the picture. This next one will have a side that has a floral tooled pattern. Otherwise it will be the same. For the first one (one in the pic) I used neatsfoot oil, then pro-dye, then a couple coats of resolene. My question is, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a different/better method to dye and finish this next tote bag. 

Because part of it will be tooled should I use and antique? And if so in what order - do I dye with dye first, then antique when the dye dries? (i've used antique before on belts but never over any existing dye, the antique was the only dye used and I'm not sure thats the correct way). 

For a finish, instead of resolene i was thinking of using leather balm with atom wax. I've never used that before and was wondering if it would be a good product for a project like this. 

Thanks folks

IMG_4833.jpg

First off I use leather balm with atom wax on all of my projects. I really like it and definitely think you should try it out. Of course test it on some scrap first so you get a feel for how it will look, before you do it on a huge piece like that.

As far as your questions about antique, if you're going to do tooling I would definitely antique it so your tooling will stand out. You dye your project first and let that dry. From there the process varies a little. Some people will apply a finish and then antique, then apply a second coat of finish. What I like to do is antique and then once that's dry I add a couple coats of the leather balm. Keep in mind that this will darken your leather quite a bit. Again I recommend you do a sample piece first, before antiquing the whole thing.

And yes, it's perfectly alright to just use antique without dyeing first as you mentioned doing on belts before. Just gives you a different look.

Hope this helps and please post if you have any more questions!

~Frau~

6 hours ago, Fraulein said:

What I like to do is antique and then once that's dry I add a couple coats of the leather balm. Keep in mind that this will darken your leather quite a bit.

If you don't put a resist on something that big it will be black before you get the antique removed.

Good point @Burkhardt

I work in smaller sections whenever I antique anything that big, working it in and wiping it off before it's really had much time to sink in and then moving on to the next section. Works for me, but definitely understand how some people may not like that method. Thanks for pointing that out

Not sure if this relevant, but I have experimented with putting a 'hard' colour on first, like yellow or a light colour, let dry, and then apply antique  over it. Just depends on what effect/ shading  I'm after.  

I have also  used red dye, with brandy antique on top , that has a deep rich effect. 

HS