TheOne

Hand stitched Roll top Backpack

imageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abffHello everybody,

After many hours, of sweat, blood (needles into fingers ain't no joke) tears, and a considerable amount of swear words, usually after stabbing my fingers...I 've finished this backpackimageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abff for myself. 

The leather used, is a waxy leather called "crazy cow" so hopefully it will be more water resistant.

I have changed the original pattern a bit , by removing some of the decoration pieces, made padded shoulder straps, added an extra pocket to the left where it was supposed to be a water bottle holder, made an extra inside pocket, with a D ring to attach keys, added a "grab handle", and added some extra rivets to strengthen the buckle attachments 

I only started leather work in 2020, so I am still learning.

This have been the most challenging project so far, but I am very happy about the results, although I would do some things differently if I get to make another one.

Let me know what you think, and obviously any suggestion is appreciated.

Cheers 

Alberto

12.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

34.jpg

37.jpg

Rolltop-backpack1.jpg

Rolltop-backpack6.jpg

Rolltop-backpack7.jpg

Rolltop-backpack9.jpg

Rolltop-backpack14.jpg

Edited by TheOne

I like it.  One of the things that makes such a backpack attractive (to me) is the roll top, which allows you to expand the carrying capacity or roll it down to make it more compact when it is near empty.  That, to me, is a good thing.

I'm not a fan of using rivets to hold things.  Not because they won't work, but just the look.  So the first thing I see that I'd address is any area where there is a rivet-only, no stitching.  

I like how you showed the layout of the components on the side of leather.  Shows clearly that it is going to use the majority of the hide.  On that note, it gives a pretty clear indication of how much you'll have in leather costs.  Then add the hardware of course.  Add in your labor and that's an expensive pack.  Worth it, but expensive nonetheless.

keep up the good work!

That looks sharp.  Very well done!

15 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I like it.  One of the things that makes such a backpack attractive (to me) is the roll top, which allows you to expand the carrying capacity or roll it down to make it more compact when it is near empty.  That, to me, is a good thing.

I'm not a fan of using rivets to hold things.  Not because they won't work, but just the look.  So the first thing I see that I'd address is any area where there is a rivet-only, no stitching.  

I like how you showed the layout of the components on the side of leather.  Shows clearly that it is going to use the majority of the hide.  On that note, it gives a pretty clear indication of how much you'll have in leather costs.  Then add the hardware of course.  Add in your labor and that's an expensive pack.  Worth it, but expensive nonetheless.

keep up the good work!

Thanks for looking and your comments Tugadude

Every part with a load bearing IS stitched & riveted :)

7 hours ago, Littlef said:

That looks sharp.  Very well done!

Thanks LittleF :)

"Thanks for looking and your comments Tugadude

Every part with a load bearing IS stitched & riveted :)"

Again, my issue wasn't whether the rivets alone are sufficient.  We all have unique taste and in my opinion the strap guides above the pockets would benefit from being stitched.  That's all I'm saying.  I realize it isn't a strength or stress issue.  It is an aesthetic issue and I'm just suggesting it might not be in keeping with the rest of the work, that's all.  

It is such a nice backpack and to me, would benefit from a different treatment there.  If you disagree and after consideration feel that it looks just fine, great!  At least you thought about it.

As they say, YMMV!  

Here's what would be just a small change, but to me it helps make it look more refined.  

esq.briefcasefrontst.jpg?v=1621434114

But this is what I had in mind.  I think it, or something similar would add to the look.

1403-2T.jpg?v-cache=1588844299

Or, yet another method, and this one eliminates the need to use rivets or stitching.

Military-inspired, dark brown American Buffalo leather No. 1 Saddlebag Briefcase on antique leather chair in a darkly lit study

On 3/25/2023 at 4:02 PM, Tugadude said:

"Thanks for looking and your comments Tugadude

Every part with a load bearing IS stitched & riveted :)"

Again, my issue wasn't whether the rivets alone are sufficient.  We all have unique taste and in my opinion the strap guides above the pockets would benefit from being stitched.  That's all I'm saying.  I realize it isn't a strength or stress issue.  It is an aesthetic issue and I'm just suggesting it might not be in keeping with the rest of the work, that's all.  

It is such a nice backpack and to me, would benefit from a different treatment there.  If you disagree and after consideration feel that it looks just fine, great!  At least you thought about it.

As they say, YMMV!  

Here's what would be just a small change, but to me it helps make it look more refined.  

esq.briefcasefrontst.jpg?v=1621434114

But this is what I had in mind.  I think it, or something similar would add to the look.

1403-2T.jpg?v-cache=1588844299

Or, yet another method, and this one eliminates the need to use rivets or stitching.

Military-inspired, dark brown American Buffalo leather No. 1 Saddlebag Briefcase on antique leather chair in a darkly lit study

I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the back straps...

The strap guides above the pockets was like that in the original patter, and didn't think of stitching it just for the look, as there was already ENOUGH to stitch :)

In fact some of the decorations I have removed, from the buckles straps,  would have been stitched as well, and if I did think about it before, I would have not made the pocket flaps stitching either.  That would have saved me a considerable amount of time.  Unless I was going to stitch with a contrasting colour which would have looked good.

I like the last one, with the strap passing through the flap, but i do not have an oblong punch. I can still do it but would take a longer time. 

What does YMMV means? English is not my first language. 

Cheers

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.  It was a common phrase in television commercials for automobiles.  They would brag about how fuel efficient a car was and then at the bottom of the screen you noticed an asterisk, followed by Your Mileage May Vary.  

Nowadays it is a way of saying something is an opinion and you might not share it.  Or something is my experience, you might not share it.

Hey, it is your backpack, do what you want with it.  You're happy, that's all that matters.  

Edited by Tugadude

6 minutes ago, TheOne said:

I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the back straps...

The strap guides above the pockets was like that in the original patter, and didn't think of stitching it just for the look, as there was already ENOUGH to stitch :)

In fact some of the decorations I have removed, from the buckles straps,  would have been stitched as well, and if I did think about it before, I would have not made the pocket flaps stitching either.  That would have saved me a considerable amount of time.  Unless I was going to stitch with a contrasting colour which would have looked good.

I like the last one, with the strap passing through the flap, but i do not have an oblong punch. I can still do it but would take a longer time. 

What does YMMV means? English is not my first language. 

Cheers

What i see is they will curl up on you at some point without stitching the edges down.

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

What i see is they will curl up on you at some point without stitching the edges down.

I often hesitate to even comment on details because I'm a detail-oriented person, always have been.  It is both blessing and curse.  Blessing because in my career it has served me well.  I oftentimes have to determine why something failed (in construction) and the why is frequently a small detail easy to overlook.

A curse because I notice things like that strap keep and cannot forget it.  

To me, bringing it up is an attempt to help a fellow leatherworker.  It isn't a criticism for the sake of same, but hopefully it creates an opportunity for the maker to reflect and who knows, maybe agree that it could be improved.  

What I don't think is particularly helpful is noticing something and not mentioning it.  Telling someone "hey, that looks awesome" when you see something you believe could be done differently isn't helpful in my opinion.  I'd want others to do the same for me.  

Yes, that keep is already sagging and in time the edges will curl.  Not in keeping with the overall look, which is very nice.  

That's all.

5 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I often hesitate to even comment on details because I'm a detail-oriented person, always have been.  It is both blessing and curse.  Blessing because in my career it has served me well.  I oftentimes have to determine why something failed (in construction) and the why is frequently a small detail easy to overlook.

To me, bringing it up is an attempt to help a fellow leatherworker.  It isn't a criticism for the sake of same, but hopefully it creates an opportunity for the maker to reflect and who knows, maybe agree that it could be improved.  

What I don't think is particularly helpful is noticing something and not mentioning it.  Telling someone "hey, that looks awesome" when you see something you believe could be done differently isn't helpful in my opinion.  I'd want others to do the same for me.  

Yes, that keep is already sagging and in time the edges will curl.  Not in keeping with the overall look, which is very nice.  

That's all.

Absolutely, i would die if I spent that amount of time on a case that nice and then those two pieces right out in front of the world curled up in the hot sun. And then knowing folks that had made that mistake didn't say anything to help me. I learn everyday from all the people on this site whether they are talking about my work or others and have found that the smallest details sometimes that cause great problems.  I like to feel i can help out as well as absorb some of the expertise on the forum without hurting feelings in the process.

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

1.png.06a1677cc280a10f76cf06313128acb4.png2.png.503d31519d8ff6de52baa2971067f29d.png

Just to make sure, Is that what are we talking about? I was thinking of stitching the logo on the sides, but then I went for the rivets 

The other strap guides, yes, maybe a stitching would have been better, but I'am still learning, and that was the design, and didn't think "will curl up " one day 

I do appreciate the comments and suggestions though. I basically learned leather craft from Youtube tutorials

Cheers  

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

That's all.

It's cool. Didn't take it as a criticism....

I appreciate the input. If I get to make another one, for a paying customer, I will stitch them  

6 minutes ago, TheOne said:

1.png.06a1677cc280a10f76cf06313128acb4.png2.png.503d31519d8ff6de52baa2971067f29d.png

Just to make sure, Is that what are we talking about? I was thinking of stitching the logo on the sides, but then I went for the rivets 

The other strap guides, yes, maybe a stitching would have been better, but I'am still learning, and that was the design, and didn't think "will curl up " one day 

I do appreciate the comments and suggestions though. I basically learned leather craft from Youtube tutorials

Cheers  

yup same thing as tug was referencing