SUP

How was this made?

I have had this for a long time and only today noticed it is leather with silver-work. Does anyone have an  idea how to make something like this? I would love to make another one.

Would really appreciate any guidance.

pict 1.jpg

pict 2.jpg

pict 3.jpg

pict 4.jpg

pict 5.jpg

pict 6.jpg

It is called a Sami bracelet and is associated with Sweden.  The button or other fastening bits are typically made from reindeer antler.

Here is a tutorial:  https://projectland.typepad.com/many-projects-going-on-at/2012/04/learning-how-to-make-a-sami-bracelet.html

Here's a video, part 1 of 3 I believe.  You will find parts 2 and 3 I'm sure.  I haven't watched, but I trust she knows what she is doing.

In order to be authentic, you should use reindeer leather, antler and tin thread as shown.

Famous actor Benedict Cumberbatch often wears one, though probably not in his superhero costume.

I cannot see from the picture the kind of detail I would like to see . . . 

And when I first looked at it I thought it was a belt . . . turns out to be a bracelet from the above posts.

You can have a similar effect with a piece of leather say 24 inches long . . . with two cuts in it that are 22 inches long . . . and of course neither one goes out the end.  The ends are left whole.  Make the strips even in width . . . and by lifting one strand . . . putting the end under it and pulling it semi tight (still able to lay flat) and then lifting the other strand . . . pulling the end under it . . . and so forth all the way thru . . . you wind up with a 3 strand braided belt that is really quite pretty and also useful.

Practice with it and have fun

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thank you! Tugadude, I did not know what it is. I just have had it for so long, I forgot where I got it from. Will look at the process and hopefully learn something.

Hey Dwight, I have seen braided belts and they look really nice. Completely forgot about them when thinking of this bracelet. I think I will find tutorials for that as well.

I have several more new things to learn! Thank you both!

Thats looks great, but you know what it reminds me of ?   'Macrame ' . I also wonder if used guitar strings could be used? Recycling ?  :dunno:

HS 

I don't think guitar strings would work. their very stiff and want to be straight not curled up.:no: