Littlef

New Holster: 1805 Harpers Ferry Flintlock Pistol.

18 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

That is one of the coolest holsters I have ever seen. The green helps.

I am wondering.
With the fit so tight, does the front sight snag? When the pistol is removed?

Um,  what front sight? I'm not really a gun person,  but I don't think the flintlock has a front sight.

Edited by DwightT

7 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

That is one of the coolest holsters I have ever seen. The green helps.

I am wondering.
With the fit so tight, does the front sight snag? When the pistol is removed?

6AFA72C8-C2CB-4272-B66A-4E1A9FEF4457.jpeg

Thank you very much.  That means a lot.  This is the third holster I've made.  I spent a lot of time trying to work out the pattern to fit good, and not be sloppy with the large cut out for the lock.  It does drag a bit, but once you clear the wood, there's room for the sight.    Now - ramrod tip is flared so it'll cover a .58 caliber roundball.  That's a big flare. The ram rod catch almost every time, unless I pull it real slow and finagle it.  

4 minutes ago, DwightT said:

I'm,  what front sight? I'm not really a gun person,  but I don't think the flintlock has a front sight.

It absolutely has a front sight, and its a large sight.  You can see it in the main photos of the original post.

2 minutes ago, Littlef said:

It absolutely has a front sight, and its a large sight.  You can see it in the main photos of the original post.

Well like I said I'm not really a gun person,  and maybe I'm just totally blind,  but I'm just not seeing it. All I see is a smooth barrel.  It's probably just my ignorance about the components of guns.

40 minutes ago, DwightT said:

Well like I said I'm not really a gun person,  and maybe I'm just totally blind,  but I'm just not seeing it. All I see is a smooth barrel.  It's probably just my ignorance about the components of guns.

I had to go back and relooked at the photos.  The sight is brass, and it’s against a tan burlap background so it kinda just blends in to the background.  

22 hours ago, Littlef said:

Thanks! - that's funny.... that was actually my thought process, on why the scale pattern was appropriate.  .. and it was just something unique and new to try.

It's very appropriate and would have likely solved a real problem for the dragoons of the time. Without the advent of a repeating carbine having  pistols such as these easily accessible on a belt would have been a huge advantage. 

For some reason, that green works so well  with the white stitching , well done:specool:  

HS

34 minutes ago, ArkieNewbie said:

It's very appropriate and would have likely solved a real problem for the dragoons of the time. Without the advent of a repeating carbine having  pistols such as these easily accessible on a belt would have been a huge advantage. 

The 1805 was issued to Dragoons, by the war of 1812. (and probably before.)  Although they were considered horse pistols, carried in some sort of saddle scabbard.  I could not find a photograph of one, aside from a Pirates of the Caribbean type movie creation.  I couldn't even find an example from a museum.  Once a dragoon dismounted, I'm not exactly sure how they were officially to be carried.  I actually tried to find historical photos of how they would be carried on a battlefield... or while on a naval ship, and I found nothing.  I find it hard to believe that military doctrine of the time would have a soldier just tuck a pistol through their belt, or put it in a coat pocket, or in a haversack, etc.  Maybe the flintlock pistol was such an afterthought, that's really how it was done.   Thus, I came up with this anachronism, based on much later Western Holsters of the late 1800's.  -A very long winded response to say, yes, it would have been a real advantage to have a way to securely carry one.

52 minutes ago, ArkieNewbie said:

the only problem and why they didn't was the powder in the frizzen as well as the whole lock had to stay dry. they aren't reliable on a good day so they kept them covered and cared for until needed. Its an awesome holster for a day on the range though, very nice looking and well made!

5 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

the only problem and why they didn't was the powder in the frizzen as well as the whole lock had to stay dry. they aren't reliable on a good day so they kept them covered and cared for until needed. Its an awesome holster for a day on the range though, very nice looking and well made!

Thanks Chuck!.  Absolutely, I agree with the idea that any flintlock it highly susceptible to moisture, but at some point, it would need to be carried into battle.  A Dragoon would have had a long arm, a saber, as well as a pistol.  It does seem odd that at this point in history, there didn't appear to be any type of holster used,  once the dragoon dismounts from his horse.  

Nice work although even with some Irish ancestors I have never been able to warm up to the color green except on plants. My problem, not yours.

13 minutes ago, Littlef said:

Thanks Chuck!.  Absolutely, I agree with the idea that any flintlock it highly susceptible to moisture, but at some point, it would need to be carried into battle.  A Dragoon would have had a long arm, a saber, as well as a pistol.  It does seem odd that at this point in history, there didn't appear to be any type of holster used,  once the dragoon dismounts from his horse.  

thats why they became known as  "horsemens  pistols" their holsters( totally covered) were on the pommel of their saddles and the pistols issued in pairs with the holsters. From what i have read the dragoons were light Calvary and only were issued the two pistols and a saber. They weren't meant to unhorse so didn't need a holster on their side.

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

thats why they became known as  "horsemens  pistols" their holsters( totally covered) were on the pommel of their saddles and the pistols issued in pairs with the holsters. From what i have read the dragoons were light Calvary and only were issued the two pistols and a saber. They weren't meant to unhorse so didn't need a holster on their side.

Actually a Dragoon was dismounted infantry.   Over time the dragoon role evolved into just the cavalry.

Just now, Littlef said:

Actually a Dragoon was dismounted infantry.   Over time the dragoon role evolved into just the cavalry.

not in 1812 and when the pistols were made, they were made and issued for use on horse back. 

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

not in 1812 and when the pistols were made, they were made and issued for use on horse back. 

fair enough, I'll concede to your expertise.  I gotta get back to work, lol.

I guess it’s not good for use in the rain 

2 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

I guess it’s not good for use in the rain 

I concur.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

The four British Army regiments of Dragoons still keep to their traditional roll of mounted infantry and scouts. Now they use Jackals and Coyote semi-armoured wheeled vehicles

8 hours ago, Handstitched said:

For some reason, that green works so well  with the white stitching , well done:specool:  

HS

Thank you very much, I agree. - Its actually an Army Tan bonded nylon.  But, against the green, it certainly looks white and not tan.

Really unique and creative design. What green dye did you use? 

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Really unique and creative design. What green dye did you use? 

Thank you very much!  I used Feibing's Kelly green, and I subdued it a bit with usmc black and mahogany dye.  I also applied some medium brown antique paste.