AlexOstacchini

Belts, Pouches, Sheaths, Cases. Lots of stuff.

Hi all, 

A bit of a photo dump as I haven't posted anything here in a while. I've had to compress the pics to pretty lousy quality to get them all in but you get the idea. Here is a load of stuff from the past year or so, some of it stock things and some of it custom work built to client specs. 

One of my bestsellers since I started making them has been cases for vernier and digital callipers, so lots of those, as well as cases for scalpels. Then various belts, pouches, knives and sheaths. I upgraded my tandy swivel knife to one from leather wranglers,  quite a big investment once you add UK customs fees but it is a big improvement, stays sharp for much longer. Ditto for Barry King stamps, I am a little jealous of the US for leather tools as shipping etc has cost me a fortune, but oh well, I doubt I'll have to buy them again. Stitching here is all by hand with waxed linen, and edge lacing is with kangaroo lace. I had never double loop edged a belt before the one here, did not realise quite how long that would take... 

My real interest and most of my day job is making historical things, and so there is also a replica here of a Tudor archer's bracer from the British Museum. I made quite a bad version of this years ago when I was just getting started so it was nice to give it a revisit with better tools and experience. It was asked for with a lining, which the original does not have, and mine has no gilding where the original probably did, but otherwise a fairly close copy. Hopefully more stuff like this to come.

Anyway thanks for looking, any queries about particular pieces or tips for me to improve then fire away

Cheers, Alex

rsz_1.jpg

rsz_2.jpg

rsz_3.jpg

rsz_4.jpg

rsz_5.jpg

rsz_6.jpg

rsz_7.jpg

rsz_8.thumb.jpg.e5b6cf2c5ebd39c669627c97103f4ace.jpgrsz_9.thumb.jpg.04f2870d1ac7b46c087ed802fe8ce779.jpgrsz_10.thumb.jpg.07af0e3c3ef9d92286e0552ccca4e647.jpgrsz_11.thumb.jpg.d8e46850d823392646ea872d73a49e83.jpgrsz_12.thumb.jpg.daf91db8d8b47807037bbf350c8259a7.jpgrsz_13.thumb.jpg.3b0ee0262e7e044e4bc7fcf0eb78598a.jpgrsz_14.thumb.jpg.fafd37c97c04ad6dc11487c4bd073049.jpg

W

wow, that's beautiful work.  I love how you used the background stamp, it really makes all the carvings pop!  The carvings are exquisite.

WOW, that's some beautiful work thank you for showing.

That is indeed awesome work! On the belts and other pieces with the black backgrounds, do you dye the background separately from the rest of the piece, using a fine brush?

Very nice work Alex. Thanks for sharing.

Wow!! Just WOW:You_Rock_Emoticon::thumbsup:

Absolutely stunning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much of it is embossed?  All of it? 

Very sharp!!

Looks nice......but ;) 

Glad its not just me

HS

Well I can see why 'you haven't posted in a while'...you've been busy!  And you are seriously talented.  Great work on all!

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Looks nice......but ;) 

Glad its not just me

HS

:17:

Why are you guys glad its not you?

woweee! all that deserves at least two  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Some really fabulous tooling

I wish it was me, or at least that I was able to do any tooling even 1/10 as good

Thanks for the compliments all, glad you like it

21 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

On the belts and other pieces with the black backgrounds, do you dye the background separately from the rest of the piece, using a fine brush?

Yes, exactly that. The black dye tends to bleed but will naturally stop at the cuts as long as the brush isn't loaded up too heavily, so I always paint a few mm away from the carved lines and it will bleed up to them. 

18 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Most of the stuff I make tends to be tooled to some degree, though not always and I often get asked for plain things too. As a process I really enjoy it but the look isn't for everyone.

3 hours ago, fredk said:

I wish it was me, or at least that I was able to do any tooling even 1/10 as good

I'm sure you can! The tool upgrades for me made a big difference, but the  bread and butter tooling techniques, eg bevelling and decorative cuts was picked up from youtube tutorials and lots of practice. Still plenty out there better than me!

21 hours ago, Littlef said:

wow, that's beautiful work.  I love how you used the background stamp, it really makes all the carvings pop! 

Thanks, that is a Barry King bar grounder, it's become my default pretty much. I've looked at lots of ways people orient these stamps and experimented a bit when I first got them, but quite liked the look of angled even rows so that's what I do most of the time now. 

Alex

Edited by AlexOstacchini

Like the rooster!  ...and everything else.  Beautiful work.  Thanks for showing us.    

1 hour ago, AlexOstacchini said:

Thanks for the compliments all, glad you like it

Yes, exactly that. The black dye tends to bleed but will naturally stop at the cuts as long as the brush isn't loaded up too heavily, so I always paint a few mm away from the carved lines and it will bleed up to them. 

Most of the stuff I make tends to be tooled to some degree, though not always and I often get asked for plain things too. As a process I really enjoy it but the look isn't for everyone.

I'm sure you can! The tool upgrades for me made a big difference, but the  bread and butter tooling techniques, eg bevelling and decorative cuts was picked up from youtube tutorials and lots of practice. Still plenty out there better than me!

Thanks, that is a Barry King bar grounder, it's become my default pretty much. I've looked at lots of ways people orient these stamps and experimented a bit when I first got them, but quite liked the look of angled even rows so that's what I do most of the time now. 

Alex

Nice, thanks.  I'm gonna have to pick a couple of those up!

So is it all hand carved and tooled or is it mostly embossed ?:dunno:

3 hours ago, AlexOstacchini said:
21 hours ago, JLSleather said:

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

Yeah, I think no answer IS an answer :rolleyes2:

"Tooled to some degree" is no answer.  I could machine press a design, put a couple of knife cuts here n there, bob a couple o mulefoots in it, and call it "hand tooled" leather.  It's not new - all been done before.

SOMETIMES if you git wonderin' what's actually tooled, ask for something mirror image.  Not rotated around by spinning the die in the press, but actually REVERSED.  Or better yet, ask them to quote and do YOUR design you will provide...

That said, "stamped" or "embossed" is fine - nothin' "wrong" with that.  I just like to see it called what it is.  Here's one that includes both...

Untitled-7.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Tooled to some degree" is no answer.  I could machine press a design, put a couple of knife cuts here n there, bob a couple o mulefoots in it, and call it "hand tooled" leather.  It's not new - all been done before.

My gut instinct  was right.  

HS

7 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

"Tooled to some degree" is no answer.  I could machine press a design, put a couple of knife cuts here n there, bob a couple o mulefoots in it, and call it "hand tooled" leather.  It's not new - all been done before.

3 hours ago, Handstitched said:

My gut instinct  was right.  

Sorry this is just a semantic misunderstanding on my part, I just read embossed as tooled. No there is no embossing in the sense of a big plate to do repeated designs or press in an outline, and no laser cutter etc to lay out patterns. I thought the original question was if everything I made was tooled. The 'tooled to some degree' comment I realise now implies vagueness in the context you desrcibe, but not trying to hide anything, I simply meant that I mostly make tooled items as opposed to plain/untooled!

Everything here is 100% hand carved. I draw out all my tooling patterns either directly onto the leather, or for anything where I need repeats (ie the coasters or swiss army knife cases above) it is done on paper first so it can be traced on. So no, no embossing. Just swivel knife and bevelling stamps. You will see slight differences between all of the pieces above.  

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

SOMETIMES if you git wonderin' what's actually tooled, ask for something mirror image.  Not rotated around by spinning the die in the press, but actually REVERSED.  Or better yet, ask them to quote and do YOUR design you will provide...

I know what you mean, it is most telling on belts which use a rolling press, as the strap end can never be finished properly and the border and pattern will not taper down into the point. But yes a mirrored version of anything here would be no problem, and aside from the repeated items (which I sell frequently so keep a stock of), many of the items pictures are exactly the one off client designs you mention.

Hope that clears things up!

Alex

Edited by AlexOstacchini

Very good you do amazing work, sorry for the skepticism :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Stunning! Absolutely stunning!  Thanks for sharing these beauties!!!

5 hours ago, AlexOstacchini said:

it is most telling on belts which use a rolling press, as the strap end can never be finished properly

Some  have moved to using a PLATE IN A PRESS for belts, instead of the rollers, for exactly that :rolleyes2:

No matter.  Certainly we'd all agree that your coloring is quite nice ;)