ToddW

Chicago Screw??

I am working on a wallet with an AirTag holder and saw this wallet with a nice flat (I think) Chicago Screw..  I ordered some off Amazon and they were beveled..   I emailed buckle guy and they don't have anything like this..  Anyone have an idea where I can get something like this.  Other challenge is I am using horween cordovan shell and its pretty thin..  The smallest chicago screw I have found is 4mm..  I tried a 4mm one from amazon (I don't like the beveled look on the ones from Amazon) and its a little big meaning Its not as tight as I want.. thinking 3mm is what I need..  

I need to be able to remove it to change the battery in the airtag and I have access to do so from inside the wallet..

Snip20230327_32.png

If you read the reviews it is identified as a snap in at least two reviews.  Not a screw apparently.

“hold 10 cards and some cash in mine. It’s small, fits easily and comfortably into pockets, is really easy to pull cards out of, and the material feels great. The snap is actually super low-profile too. I’m very pleased with it.”

If you just search the web for "flat top snaps" you find several options.  Too bad the maker of the subject wallet doesn't show it in the opened condition, that might give some better idea of exactly what it is.  All snaps aren't created equal obviously.  And it is certainly possible they are custom-made for the manufacturer.  The appearance is very clean.

Flat Cap Spring Snap Fastener - Etsy

thanks!  missed the review stating its a snap.. it is very clean and I do like it a lot.  it might even been cleaned up in photoshop but the finish looks good.

boy.. are the reviews bad.. seems its a total crap product but I do like the look of that snap.. Lots of company names selling the same product... Nimalist and Normest and a lot more... reviews outside the website are horrible..

Ev

The real apple ones have a nice snap as well....  Everything I am finding is not as finished on the side that will be visible

Snip20230329_33.png

It seems we get some traffic every now and then where people are looking to find hardware that some manufacturer is using and it is always a difficult proposition.  As I stated, sometimes the maker gets something custom-made for their purposes, rendering it inaccessible.  Other times they procure bits from niche providers that don't advertise or at least where we can find them.  

In our industry we tend to gravitate to companies such as Weaver, Springfield Leather, Tandy, Rocky Mountain, etc. for a lot of things.  For specialties, Buckle Guy, as mentioned is a good one as is Ohio Travel Bag.  

One thing you could try is to reach out to the manufacturer and just ask.  Maybe they'll be nice and respond?  I guess it depends on how you ask.  If they see you as someone hoping to make your own products with their idea, then they'll probably send the email to the trash bin.  Or they might surprise you.  Doesn't cost anything but time to find out. 

definitely understand...  I did go to buckle guy first.. and have google'd and looked at the normal ones.  Happy to see you responding as everyone has their unique experience..  I'm a newbie wanna be leather guy :-). I just saw that one that I liked and noticed apple also uses a similar feel.. was hoping it was an easy find but looks like I need to get more creative..  All good.. 

If you wanted to use a Chicago screw, you could grind it down, I do it a lot , not that hard if you have a sander, grinder, dremel

I made a concho and silver soldered a Chicago screw on the back.  After I did that, the screw was bit too long.  I just took a hand file, and filed down the screw and the post till I got the right length.  I was concerned it might mess up the threads but they worked fine.  You might be able to just take a file to it, and shorten it a bit.

The thing is the purchaser will need to be able to remove the tag periodically, so it has to be convenient.  Batteries are said to last around a year, so not a huge deal, but still…

Found lots of them but no e like the picture.. I thought I was close as I found a keychain that had something nice and asked about it.. seller said he doesn’t give that info out.. i have emailed most of the bigger hardware companies showing a pic and nobody had any suggestions..  I have ordered a few more to try and they work but not as nice.. beveled so far is it.. this is what I am using now..

F83F70DA-CAF6-4DCC-951D-85BB8A90CBDE.jpeg

The hardware store sells these aluminum binding posts cheap.  You could quickly polish the head shiny.  They come in different lengths, or you could cut the post to whatever length you needed.

binding post IMG_9377.jpg