DwightT

Pruning shear sheath

It's Spring (sort of), which means that it's time to prune the fruit trees.  Unfortunately the sheath that came with my pruning shears was a cloth piece of junk that collapses whenever I pull the shears out, making it difficult to slide the shears back in.  Since I'm so accomplished at leather work now (suuuure) I decided to make a sheath for myself.  Used 6/7 oz leather and they hold their shape much better so that I can slip the shears back in without having to fiddle around with the sheath.  The only thing I don't like is the belt loop.  I just don't like having to undo my belt every time I go to put the sheath on/off.  I may have to make another sheath and use a holster clip instead.

PXL_20230319_225212045.thumb.jpg.301b5ba5d92c526fab49d07f330c1819.jpgPXL_20230319_225159230.thumb.jpg.dac658ff3fac1b4380050990f07adc23.jpg

Good work, tidy stamping on the basket weave and looks like a nice edge as well. Definitely better than a cloth piece of junk! To my mind 6-7 ounces is about right for this sort of thing and should hold its shape nicely. 

Nice. Never thought about a sheath for pruning shears. What we have locally are sold sans sheath..

You could always just put a snap on it.

20 hours ago, AlexOstacchini said:

Good work, tidy stamping on the basket weave and looks like a nice edge as well. Definitely better than a cloth piece of junk! To my mind 6-7 ounces is about right for this sort of thing and should hold its shape nicely. 

Thanks.  I'm still working on edging, but this one I think was one of the better results.

18 hours ago, Gosut said:

Nice. Never thought about a sheath for pruning shears. What we have locally are sold sans sheath..

Most of the shears sold around here don't come with a sheath either.  I got this one at a home show, and they threw in the sheath as a bonus.  I threw it away.  I do like having this sheath on my belt when I'm up in the tree and need to move around.  Better than trying to stuff the shears into my pocket.

12 hours ago, Hags said:

You could always just put a snap on it.

Thought about that, and I'll probably do that for a multi-tool sheath that I need to do one of these days.  But I want to give the clip a try partly just to get familiar with them and partly because sometimes I don't have a belt when I go out to prune, especially in the summer.  With a clip I can just slip it over the waist band of my pants.

/dwight

I meant put a snap on the belt loop.