dhaverstick

An arm guard just in time for turkey season!

89rqOnI.jpg

I finished this arm guard yesterday for the feller who got me into bowhunting. He and I are headed to Mexico next month to chase Gould's turkeys with our recurves and I thought he needed to be dressed appropriately. I actually don't remember if he uses an arm guard or not so, if he doesn't, I guess he has a nice leather coaster to set his coffee on.

This arm guard has a vegetable-tanned cowhide backing and a facing of leather that comes from a pirarucu, or arapaima. That's a giant fish that is native to the Amazon River basin. The tan trim is deer hide and the black leather is carp hide. I carved the lace hooks from deer antler and sewed everything up by hand using artificial sinew.

Darren

Most excellent

What are those items you have for holding the cord?

Very cool looking work would the bow string get caught on the hooks you have there?

16 minutes ago, fredk said:

Most excellent

What are those items you have for holding the cord?

Those are lace hooks that I carved out of deer antler and then dyed black.

Darren

Just now, Samalan said:

Very cool looking work would the bow string get caught on the hooks you have there?

I have made many, many arm guards using this design and have never had a problem. When the guard is wrapped around one's arm, the lace hooks are well away from the bow string's path.

Darren

Thanks, Darren I never use an arm guard when I shoot I'll tell ya that's some really nice-looking work you did love that stitching and those handmade deer antler hooks what a cool job.

jKW55eq.jpg

My friend got his arm guard yesterday and sent me this photo. He was quite pleased and that makes me smile.

Darren

Pretty cool.

oh yea, that's cool indeed! Tanned carp is interesting might have to try that.

30 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

oh yea, that's cool indeed! Tanned carp is interesting might have to try that.

Carp hide is awesome to work with! It has a really interesting texture and is tough as iron.

Darren

2 minutes ago, dhaverstick said:

Carp hide is awesome to work with! It has a really interesting texture and is tough as iron.

Darren

i'll be bow hunting them in about three weeks lol. No turkeys around here for me so Carp will have to do lol. 

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i'll be bow hunting them in about three weeks lol. No turkeys around here for me so Carp will have to do lol. 

Man, I love to bowfish! One of my near-future hunting trips is to go to the coast and shoot rays. Good luck!

Darren

29 minutes ago, dhaverstick said:

Man, I love to bowfish! One of my near-future hunting trips is to go to the coast and shoot rays. Good luck!

Darren

Carp is the first thing thing i ever hunted with a bow, Taking one with the first shot first shot got me hooked for life that was in 78. I still have the same bow, spool and arrow lol. Sweet little Browning Wasp 50#. Good luck to you as well my friend.