ArkieNewbie

Leather Laser Project Work in Progress

I started a project last night for a young lady who will be selling vegetables at our local farmers market. I designed this logo for her.

It is laser engraved on a 16"x16" piece of 2/3oz. vegtan. I will be stitching it onto a 24"x60" piece of dark brown oil tan for her to put on her display table. I'm thinking about using yellow or bright blue for the stitching to give it a nice pop of color. 

BBF.jpg

Great lookin sign:thumbsup: Ask her if you can put some business cards on her stand:yes:, or better yet a small leather sign of your own with your info.:whatdoyouthink:

6 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Great lookin sign:thumbsup: Ask her if you can put some business cards on her stand:yes:, or better yet a small leather sign of your own with your info.:whatdoyouthink:

That's a great idea! I'll be at the same farmers market to so that would be great for cross pollination! 

I have some leather hat patches that I've started lasering my info on. I figured if I'm working with leather what better place to put my "business card" than on a small piece of leather.

1 hour ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I started a project last night for a young lady who will be selling vegetables at our local farmers market. I designed this logo for her.

Pretty sharp.  Good luck with the farmer's market!

25 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Pretty sharp.  Good luck with the farmer's market!

Thank you sir!

That’s a pretty nice design. She should love it.
I don’t know about lasers.

how deep does it burn into the leather?

That would depend on how high you set the power on the laser. Could be anywhere from  light brown discoloration of the leather to a couple mm or more depth. A good dark black graving approx 1mm deep.  this one less then a mm

Buck 110.jpg

That is very nice !!!!! She should be well pleased , good luck to the both of you at the market !!!

Very nice! On my list of want to have! 

I finished this project up last night. This is hand stitched and it was a pain! But I am very please with how it turned out!

BBF 1.jpg

BBF 2.jpg

BBF 3.jpg

I really hope you got the orientation right. If it was me I'd want the sign facing forward.

On 4/14/2023 at 6:54 PM, Bert03241 said:

I really hope you got the orientation right. If it was me I'd want the sign facing forward.

Yes sir! I double and triple checked with the customer. This "runner" will be hanging off the front of the table not running the whole length of the table. 

It took a little conversation to understand what they were wanting. 

On 4/10/2023 at 7:35 PM, Hags said:

Same here..

On 4/10/2023 at 9:24 PM, ArkieNewbie said:

It is laser engraved on a 16"x16" piece of 2/3oz. vegtan. I will be stitching it onto a 24"x60" piece of dark brown oil tan for her to put on her display table. I'm thinking about using yellow or bright blue for the stitching to give it a nice pop of color. 

BBF.jpg

It looks good. 

19 hours ago, hotleatherworlds said:

It looks good. 

Thanks!

On 4/21/2023 at 2:05 PM, Rwest said:

Same here..

On 4/10/2023 at 7:35 PM, Hags said:

Diode lasers are pretty attainable as far as price goes and mine works great for engraving on leather. This is the largest piece I've done and it took about 35 minutes. 

The laser I have is about $280, it's a 5.5W laser with a 16"x16" bed.

I would not recommend a diode laser if you're looking for something to cut out patterns with. For that I would go the CO2 route. For me to cut 3/4oz leather takes about 15 passes. That could definitely be reduced with a more powerful diode laser but over all CO2 is going to be better for cutting. 

On 4/21/2023 at 2:05 PM, Rwest said:

Same here..

I don't know where you are in Oklahoma but the Norman Public Library has a CO2 laser you can use for free if you have a library card.  My son uses it to engrave some wood and leather things.  I have been considering trying my hand at but don't know what I would have to do to get a card since I don't live in or near Norman.  I think other library systems may have them but know that my local doesn't.  JM2C.  Jim

10 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

I don't know where you are in Oklahoma but the Norman Public Library has a CO2 laser you can use for free if you have a library card.  My son uses it to engrave some wood and leather things.  I have been considering trying my hand at but don't know what I would have to do to get a card since I don't live in or near Norman.  I think other library systems may have them but know that my local doesn't.  JM2C.  Jim

That is something that people need to look into if they don't wish to purchase one themselves, or if they want to get some experience before jumping in and buying one.  My sister used one at a city-sponsored facility to make some gorgeous wood projects.  Sadly the money ran out and it shut down.  But there might be more places like it.  Worth pursuing in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

That is something that people need to look into if they don't wish to purchase one themselves, or if they want to get some experience before jumping in and buying one.  My sister used one at a city-sponsored facility to make some gorgeous wood projects.  Sadly the money ran out and it shut down.  But there might be more places like it.  Worth pursuing in my opinion.

A local university, Arkansas State, has something like this. I think they call it the Entrepreneur Collective. They have 3D printers, a laser, and other equipment for people to use. I wish they would buy an industrial sewing machine haha. 

1 hour ago, ArkieNewbie said:

A local university, Arkansas State, has something like this. I think they call it the Entrepreneur Collective. They have 3D printers, a laser, and other equipment for people to use. I wish they would buy an industrial sewing machine haha. 

No doubt!  And yes, this was an incubator for small businesses.  They had all sorts of tools and equipment that would be out of reach for most any fledgling businesses.