ChrisMarquez

Wax Pot Clean Out Tips? Straight Stitcher a mess

Hello all,

I picked up a vintage American Straight Stitcher upright model. This has a single wax pot at the top. It’s a sticky gunky mess of old brown wax. Any hints on cleaning this well enough for adding new fresh lubrication? I’ve been picking it out thus far. Thanks. Chris

Does it l have the heater? - plug it in

no heater - paint stripping gun to melt the wax. Torches can be a little harder to control the heat and gets kind of exciting when they flame it. 

I would try pure turpentine first. The pure artists type turps not the artificial replacement

Thanks Bruce and Fred. I actually have both at hand -the heat gun  and turpentine to have at it. Looks like the heater wires have been cut. She was locked up something tight, but a little oil and some patience and now she seems to be trucking along nicely.  Goes to show -“She ain’t working/ She’s broken” is not always the case. 

I bought a pfaff 130 not too long ago. It sewed, but stitch adjustment and all was pretty locked up. WD40 and a heat gun did wonders.