Sign in to follow this  
rdb

A review of Zack Whites

A review of Zack Whites:

Disclaimer: I ain't got nothing to do with the place, except buy stuff there once in awhile.

Just got back from my bi-weekly trip over to Zack Whites.

Now in the old days in Boston, I had my pick of quite a few suppliers, including Berman's, Siegel's, etc. Those were heady days! Now I find myself in the woods in North Carolina, struggling, and starting up all over again. Naturally I have my choices of Mail Order, or the TLC in Raleigh, but Siler City is only a 25 minute ride for me, so I stop in to Zack White's, more and more. It really does give me the feel of the old days.

It's just a big metal building with the Dyes and accessories on shelves out front. The walls are lined with the stuff they actually make right there...Holsters galore (seems to be their biggest thing ther, but that's NC!), belts, etc. The back of the shop has shelves stacked with leathers of all kinds, belt stock, and horsey gear. Out of the visitor range, but within eye shot is their actual working area. Dungaree aproned guys work shavers, belt cutters, sewing machines.

Pricing, and stock descriptions of the leather, are not on the shelves all the time. Mostly the Lady Clerks have to look everything up in the catalogs...I do mean everything. The stuff out front is mostly marked, but as typical here in NC, it can be hit or miss on price/desc. stickers. But hey, it gives a reason to talk to people, and that's a good thing.

ALL the workers there are kind and courteous to the walk in trade. I assume the same is for their mail order people. They don't mind spending the time on even the smallest request, it seems. This is a very nice thing.

I haven't bought much leather yet, just a shoulder or two, but I have gone through the racks to see the quality, and the leathers are clean and workable. The skirting and tooling pieces I've seen are excellent. Because they aren't all marked, I'm not sure of what I'm looking at all the time. As I get more familiar with the place, and the people, I'll let you know more.

If any of you have dealings there, and want some questions asked by me, or to eyeball something there for you, just let me know, and on my next trip out, I'll check it out.

Wish I lived close to Zack's!

I place a couple of orders a year with them. Their straps have the smoothest backs I have ever seen. Shame to even think about putting a lining on them. Brass hand shoe tacks, button rivet studs, a lot of stuff that has been dropped from inventory of the big name mega stores. Sure there are a few others that still carry that stuff but do they also have enameled belt buckles with "Fighting Cocks" on them? the birds not the words or team icon.

Mike

Funny you should say that. I just finished a black strap for a customer, and he wanted the back dyed also..I didn't even have to burnish it, the back was so smooth...just a good sealer.

I have been to Zacks several times. I am about 40 minutes from there in a small town (Carthage). The people have always been helpful and polite. Great place and all kinds of leather.

I'm in southern chatham county...nice to hear from you johnny7. I like the JD seat you did.

Hey Johnny, rdb, and Mike, Mike you know me somewhat, but the others don't. I'm gonna tell you a little history about me and Zack White. Way back in the early 70's I got interested in leatherworking by watching an old guy at Mrytle Beach makeing mystry braid bracelets. He would not show me how to do, but he gave me a piece that was braided and a piece that was cut to be braided and told me to learn how. I found a book in the local libarary with the instructions in it and about 3 weeks later I had a weekend off and went back down there and showed him I could do it. Back then Mr Zack had a guy, Clarence Fuller, that had been working with him for years. I met Mr. Clarence's stepson and bought my first leatherworking tools and stuff from Toby, is son. Toby had got Mr. Clarence to get the stuff for him and would pound out a belt or bracelet on a cement block, a brick or whatever he could find, an easy way to pick up a few bucks back then. For the first year that I worked at leather I didn't know that there was anywhere else but Zack White Leather Co. in Raleigh N.C. to buy leather and supplies from. After Mr. Zack decided to sell out and retire, the new owners moved the co to Ramsuer N.C., but no matter where they have been since 1974, I've bought from them, I've always been satisfied with the price and the quality of there products. They didn't used to sell as much Tandy/Crafttool stuff as they do now, but I understand that business is business and they have to do what they can to stay in business and stay competitive in the market. Guys you wouldn't believe the stamping tools, belt buckles, handbag hardware, shoe findings, etc., that Zack white used to carry and always cheaper than just about anywhere else. Johnny I live about 35 mi. south of the Rock down in South Carolina on U.S. Highway 1. I've been to Carthage several times, my daughter used to live there. Another thing my wife has been up to Pinehurst to the hospital several times and we/I usually try and make it on up to Sandhills Harley-Davidson. Maybe some time we can get together and we can meet up somewhere up around Carthage and ride on up to Zack White's together, have some fun lusting after the leather stuff and even get a cup of coffee. RDB, if you want we can all meet up somewhere and enjoy talking about leather with someone who at least knows something about it. Down here where I live nobody even knows what carving leather is. Anyway enough wind for now. Ya'll all have a good one and I'll talk to you later. Mr. Phelps, I got the private email and am glad to here that you are getting some use out of it. It seems that a while back it came up again, here and in the group, turned out to be the SSDD (same sh*t different day), but if the big guys won't let you play without a whipping, I guess just don't play there game. We can't afford to get in trouble about it. I might would do another for someone, but I'd have t really know that they don't talk and brag. Kindest Regards everybody, Billy P

Sounds good. It'll probably be a few weeks for me, but if youse guys want, just send private messages/email , and we'll figger it out.

Brats at the Bavarian Brathaus in Carthage would be on my list!

I order all my leather straps and belt blanks from Zacks White, and i'm living in Montreal Canada ;)

The leather used in their belts are very workable and without any scuff. They stamped and dyed well. And like Mike Phelps was saying, their straps have the smoothest backs I have ever seen.

And i've never had any trouble dealing with them exepted once. They seem to have been short on personnal, and i've had to wait longer than usual. But, that's old story :)

No later than this morning, i've order belts blanks, leather stips and some laces. After all, X-Mas is on it's way, and friends and family are asking me for some home made leather gift, what to say :angel_not:

Next time i go on vacation in North Carolina, rest assure that i'll pay a visit to the store i'm ordering my belts blank.

I wish I was in Canada now, my money would be worth more, instead of less...lol, I could buy a lot more leather!