RockRash

A notebook cover for my daughter

I made this for her birthday coming up. I started doing lether work a few months ago when I needed a knife sheath and a hunting pouch for my flintlock. A few weeks and about $600 in tools and leather ( having a tandy store 5 minutes from my work is dangerous lol). This is my 3rd tooled project and I'm happy how it turned out. 

20230424_214128.jpg

20230424_214112.jpg

Very nice work!

You are off to a great start and welcome to the forum from SW Missouri.  Glad you showed us your work. It is fantastic.  I am sure your daughter will love the notebook cover.  Top notch!  I love the pattern on the back as well as the floral design on the front.

Very nice! A local Tandy shop got me hooked as well. Gee, that's kinda expensive ain't it.. well, what if I knock 30% off for you? Good, now you'll need.................

man that is awesome work!! Took me by surprise my dads initials lol.

That is stunning.  Beautiful tooling and good selection of colors. And your stitching and edge work are marvelous.   Good job.

/dwight

Thank you all for the kind words. You guys on this forum have helped me a lot. I've spent hours reading old posts here to try and improve. I wish I would have discovered this hobby years ago. I'm going to be making a few more of these for family gifts, I'm thinking about adding a snap closure to my pattern. I haven't messed with setting snaps or rivets yet so that will be fun. Thanks again! 

Looks very good but I have to ask what in the world did you use on the back for the design? I can tell it's stamped 4 times(?) but what stamp is the question?

53 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

Looks very good but I have to ask what in the world did you use on the back for the design? I can tell it's stamped 4 times(?) but what stamp is the question?

It's a pattern I saw on makers leather supplies YouTube channel. I really liked it and I intend to use it again on the back of a bible cover I'm making for my mom for mother's day. The 2 stamps are Barry King seashell fillers both large and small. The stamps are spendy but I had money sitting in my PayPal so I figured this was as good a time as any to spend it.

I cut a dimond pattern with the swivle knife and used the stamps on the corners of the diamonds. I didn't experiment first I intended for the dimond pattern to be more visible but I made them to small. I do like how it turned out though but next time I'll make the diamonds a quarter inch larger.  You can see it better before I used the antique.

Screenshot_20230425-231807_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230425-231949_Gallery.jpg

I'm having issues resizing the pictures to post. Sorry for the poor quality I'm having to screen shot the actual picture to post them. I need to figure out how to do it properly. 

Personally I think they turned out fantastic.  I don't see a need to resize the diamonds.  I don't have that particular stamp, but I'm going to have to play around with the idea with the stamps that I do have.

/dwight

Very nice!

On 4/26/2023 at 1:30 AM, RockRash said:

It's a pattern I saw on makers leather supplies YouTube channel. I really liked it and I intend to use it again on the back of a bible cover I'm making for my mom for mother's day. The 2 stamps are Barry King seashell fillers both large and small. The stamps are spendy but I had money sitting in my PayPal so I figured this was as good a time as any to spend it.

I cut a dimond pattern with the swivle knife and used the stamps on the corners of the diamonds. I didn't experiment first I intended for the dimond pattern to be more visible but I made them to small. I do like how it turned out though but next time I'll make the diamonds a quarter inch larger.  You can see it better before I used the antique.

Screenshot_20230425-231807_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230425-231949_Gallery.jpg

Thanks, I've never seen a stamp that is that tight of a V vs being more rounded at the bottom.

Very, very impressive work, especially for only a few months in! May I suggest incorporating a pen loop on the next ones? I just love adding that extra little detail to my notebooks.