Davidxy887

New Bell Skiver making weird noise

Hello,

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just got a bell skiver and I've been watching a lot of videos to try and set up correctly. 

Right now its making a weird noise every time i try to feed the leather. Also, the leather does not move at all towards the knife. 

First I thought maybe there is something stuck so i lifed the wheel and nothing. The wheel is able to rotate completly fine with no weird sound if i dont try to feed the leather. The moment i put a piece of leather there it makes the odd noise. 

The way I have set it up is that the wheel is less than 0.5mm close to the knife. I have sharpened the knife recently as well. Also, I have tried all kinds of pressure with the foot and nothing helps. 

What else can I do?

17 minutes ago, Davidxy887 said:

Hello,

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just got a bell skiver and I've been watching a lot of videos to try and set up correctly. 

Right now its making a weird noise every time i try to feed the leather. Also, the leather does not move at all towards the knife. 

First I thought maybe there is something stuck so i lifed the wheel and nothing. The wheel is able to rotate completly fine with no weird sound if i dont try to feed the leather. The moment i put a piece of leather there it makes the odd noise. 

The way I have set it up is that the wheel is less than 0.5mm close to the knife. I have sharpened the knife recently as well. Also, I have tried all kinds of pressure with the foot and nothing helps. 

What else can I do?

What's the make/model of your skiver?  What kind of "weird noise" is it making?  Does it sound like metal against metal, against the stone, or what?  Maybe you could make a short video and show us?

4 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

What's the make/model of your skiver?  What kind of "weird noise" is it making?  Does it sound like metal against metal, against the stone, or what?  Maybe you could make a short video and show us?

Techsew Sk 4.

It sounds like leather against metal i think. Ill try to get a video of it and post it here

1 hour ago, Davidxy887 said:

Techsew Sk 4.

How thick is your leather that you are trying to skive. From the Techsew site ( www.techsew.com/en/techsew-sk-5-heavy-duty-leather-skiving-machine.html ) " The SK-5 is recommended for leather from 4-5oz and thicker. For thinner leather, we recommend the Techsew SK-4. "

kgg

4 hours ago, kgg said:

How thick is your leather that you are trying to skive. From the Techsew site ( www.techsew.com/en/techsew-sk-5-heavy-duty-leather-skiving-machine.html ) " The SK-5 is recommended for leather from 4-5oz and thicker. For thinner leather, we recommend the Techsew SK-4. "

kgg

Thank you. Yeah its 1mm thick. 

I can not be sure as the video does not show from the best angle to see the gap between the bell edge and the presser foot but I am thinking that your bell edge is too close to the presser foot edge. This video of mine should help to show that distance I think -

On 4/30/2023 at 6:31 AM, RockyAussie said:

I can not be sure as the video does not show from the best angle to see the gap between the bell edge and the presser foot but I am thinking that your bell edge is too close to the presser foot edge. This video of mine should help to show that distance I think -

Thank you. Now the sound is gone but its not cutting anything. Again im testing it on 1mm leather. 

Edited by Davidxy887
I need a different clarification now

Only thing I can suggest from here assuming that you have moved the bell backward the correct distance is that you have not given it enough of a sharpen yet.