327fed

Veg Tanned Odor

I got a couple of imported  veg tanned sides a year or so back (really all I could get) that came from Venezuela I believe. When I wet them to form or stamp the leather smells distinctly like cow manure. Surely the extended tanning process washes any off the hide. Is there a tanning process that uses manure as an ingredient? I have washed my hands half a dozen times this afternoon and still smell it. I have lots of direct first hand contact with cow manure and this is for sure the odor. 

re

Using manure and piss is very old way of tanning. Your leather might have been done in a very poor backward place and then supplied to bigger outlet

I had some terribly smelly leather too a few years ago.  Smelled like urine.  I used liquid saddle soap, literally soaked it, followed by rinsing the surface with water and let it dry.  It helped some.  Finally bleached it with oxalic acid followed by another rinse.  The combination worked.  Might work for yours too.  Then it needs some NFO.

This only stinks when you are working it wet. The NFO and Mop

and Glo covers it up pretty welll.