I have been putting some pigskin lining in some holsters. I cut the lining bigger, glue it and then trim. I always end up with a ragged edge on the lining., especially after edge burnishig. On straight places I can use a fabric circle knofe, but the rest looks bad. Suggestions? 

Glue the lining in place then use a very sharp blade, such as a scalpel blade to cut the edge of the lining 2 or 3mm in from the edge. The lining will still be held by the glue and any sewing at about the 3mm from edge

i glue then trim both pieces together with a sharp knife.

12 hours ago, fredk said:

Glue the lining in place then use a very sharp blade, such as a scalpel blade to cut the edge of the lining 2 or 3mm in from the edge. The lining will still be held by the glue and any sewing at about the 3mm from edge

I do the same as @fredk but I typically line with Hermann Oak, so I'll trim it back from the edge, and then skive it a bit.  The result is the same and you don't see the liner edge.

Double stitch line

with the pig skin pulled back from the edge 

I would suggest that you use a 2 oz veg tan liner instead of the pig skin then the problem would solve itself

I gave up on pig skin a long time ago . . . use veg tan for the liner . . . cut both pieces from the same pattern . . . glue em both together with contact cement . . . then sand all the edges with a belt sander . . . bevel both edges . . . burnish it all . . . 

Best way I have found to do em . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

On 5/7/2023 at 3:38 AM, BruceGibson said:

I typically line with Hermann Oak,

Yeah, I coulda just typed this but I wanted to say "HEY" ta Bruce   :wavey:

And I often line with H.O., though I absolutely do like a veg tanned GOAT hide as well (very strong, yet moldable and purdy).

redhawk.jpg  Oh, yeah.. anwer the question .... glue in (on a curve) then trim with CRAZY SHARP knife (like NEW x-acto works great).

Edited by JLSleather

Hey JLS!  Can you expand on your procedure to "glue in on a curve"?  I don't like how some liner materials like to bunch when molding holsters.  Sounds like you may have solved this issue.

Hey JLS!  Can you expand on your "glue in on a curve" procedure?  I have troubles with some liner materials wanting to bunch up during wet forming.  Sounds like you have a work-around.

Partially curve the holster first and then curve the liner before gluing, as opposed to gluing them together flat. It can be little bit fiddly but it reduces any bunching significantly.

If you make the bends over a round pipe or other type object . . . with the leather wet . . . there will be almost no "wrinkles" or bunching.

Beats the holy heck out of trying to cut the liner as close and good looking as I do with sanding the edges and then bending.

But that is just my preferred way . . .  and there is more than one way to skin a cat or line a holster.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 6/25/2023 at 12:50 PM, SixgunCustomLeather said:

Hey JLS!  Can you expand on your "glue in on a curve" procedure?  I have troubles with some liner materials wanting to bunch up during wet forming.  Sounds like you have a work-around.

Didn't see this til now, but I see somebody already cured the answer ;)

23 hours ago, dikman said:

Partially curve the holster first and then curve the liner before gluing, as opposed to gluing them together flat. It can be little bit fiddly but it reduces any bunching significantly.

Exactly this.  The curve doesn't have to be EXACTLY the finished shape, but it should be somewhat close.  

I thought I'd have a jillion pics of this happening, but I don't.  And I tried find you a decent WHY-tube video, but I don't see any (most leather videos are dross, made by those who think if they talk a long time somebody will listen).  

If you have your holster curved (I usually rough-shape it after tooling and before it's dried out) and let it dry in that shape, all you need to do is glue leather and liner and when it's ready, "smooth" the liner onto the leather in the shape it's in.  If you're new to this, might be easiest to put wax paper over the holster sides, so only the MIDDLE sticks.  Fold you liner roughly in half (don't "crease" it tight, just the curve of the finished goods- ish) and stick down JUST the middle, "smoothing" it on and working center out.  THen as you have the center done, remove the wax paper on one side and smooth that down, then do the same on the other side.

Somebody prove me wrong and post a good pic or video of this being done -- I dubbledogddare ya ;)

I reckon you're pretty safe. I've watched a lot of videos on leatherworking, particularly holsters, and never seen one glued curved, they're always done flat. In fact this site, so far, is the only place I've seen the method discussed. I've only done one holster this way and it turned out fine, although I cut the liner a bit oversize to allow for any mis-alignment while gluing up and then trimmed to size after.

I had a look on youtube last night. Not one maker glued the lining curved. In fact some of the tutes are really bad and in some cases use of tools is dangerous

However, I did, some years ago, download from this forum a PDF tute on making a 'California' holster and the maker tells how to glue the lining on curved

Oh, yeah!  How did I not mention this one?  Jim Simmon's write up is (while not exactly the way I do it) VERY well worth the read - good stuff there!

https://leatherworker.net/SimmonsHolster.pdf

From memory I think I clamped a piece of broom-handle horizontally in a vice and formed the leather over that when gluing together.

Yeah, I was surprised to find almost no info on this on the WWW.  Been doing holsters for some time, but, never really messed with liners until recently.  Go info guys!  Thanks much!  I will play around some more after a little more reading.

17 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Oh, yeah!  How did I not mention this one?  Jim Simmon's write up is (while not exactly the way I do it) VERY well worth the read - good stuff there!

https://leatherworker.net/SimmonsHolster.pdf

Thats the one. I miss remembered the style of holster in the tute

I have no need to make holsters, but I might try to make a couple for my Denix replicas.  I have a length of very stout cardboard tubing and a couple of empty spray cans for wrapping leather around. Instead of putting empty/used up spray cans straight into the recycling I'm measuring them for possible use. I've already, a few years ago, covered one can with wood strips for use in making dice cups

OH, yah ... this video wasn't about, but this will show a guy a holster ":rough shaped" BEFORE forming.  Had it been lined, guy coulda adhered the lining at the "rough form" stage ...