toxo

Clicker dies for straps.

We all know that strap cutters are great on veg tan but on soft Chrome tan - not so much.

Whilst I was making some bag dies today I had an idea for an open ended strap die that can be used for any length strap. You just use your strap end punches for the length you want. I made this one at 20mm. Good for over the shoulder type bags and also D ring tabs etc. It's gonna be a lot easier now I've got the swing arm press but I would've walked it along the arbor press.

Strap cutter die.jpg

Toxo, could you elaborate a bit, please? All I see is a long piece of wood with a couple of clamps on it.:dunno:;)

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Toxo, could you elaborate a bit, please? All I see is a long piece of wood with a couple of clamps on it.:dunno:;)

Sorry dikman. here's another pic. As you can see, I did a quick test. Those straps are soft and you would struggle with a regular strap cutter. Of course I had to walk it through the press, same as I would've done on the arbor press and if you're careful with sliding it along you can cut any length because it's open ended. Took no time at all.

IMG_20230510_022255.jpg