Tequila

Beader Questions

Let me start off by saying that I’m not that great, only a hobbier and only make things for myself or to give away.  I haven’t been able to do any leather work for almost a year and thought I’d get back into it slowly by making some coasters.  My thought is to have a bead around the edge.  In the past when I tried to get that look I would cut a line with a swivel knife and then hand stamp using a beveler.  It not only took time but I never really got the look that I was trying for.  I saw that Barry King sells beader blades for a swivel knife, has anyone tried them?  If you don’t use that what do you use?  I saw that sometimes Bruce Johnson has a push beader in stock, would it be better for me to wait till he has one again?

Thanks for the insight

What do you mean by a 'bead' ? I think I and maybe you have two different ideas of what a 'bead' edge looks like

You can make a push beveller for a swivel knife. If you cut the end right you can have a rounded top 'bead' 

These are simple bevellers I made out of nylon rod for my swivel knife;

swivel knife beveler, 01s.jpg

swivel knife beveler, 02s.jpg

swivel knife beveler, 03s.jpg

The materials cost me less than $10 and I have lots left to make more. They took only a short time to make

I might go and make a 'beader' now !

I guess it depends on the look you’re going for. I like a simple crease line made with a heated crease. I typically crease after burnishing the edge and again after assembly/sewing. I am reluctant to cut the grain but understand it’s necessary for a more pronounced border.

This is what I was thinking when I say a bead

image.png

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded standard jpg type file, replaced other

Simples. If I have the time I'll make a nylon one over the weekend and see how it works

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Simples. If I have the time I'll make a nylon one over the weekend and see how it works

Let me know how it works!

@Tequila - two questions; 1. what weight/thickness of leather would you use? 2. what width of rounded bead would you use? I want to try and match your requirements to see if miine works

You probably saw @bruce johnson's description of push beaders on his website.  He mentioned potential problems with beaders that are sharp and cut the grain, in comparison to the usual style that is blunt and burnishes the lines without cutting the grain - like a crease.  I haven't used a beader but for burnishing a crease line I like the traditional handle on a curved shank.  It is comfortable while pushing firmly to burnish, and the tool is visible in front of your hand to maintain the desired line.  Barry King has this style of push beader in stock.  https://www.oaleathersupply.com/collections/barry-king-tools/products/barry-king-push-beader

On 5/19/2023 at 11:44 AM, Tequila said:

Well, I have a sort-of beader. It works

swivel knife beader, 01LWs.jpg

swivel knife beader, 03LWs.jpg

I made the working end at a slight angle. I thought it would be easier to work

swivel knife beader, 04LWs.jpg

swivel knife beader, 05LWs.jpg

Total width across is about 6.5mm (1/4 inch), with the bead about 4mm

The test leather is only 2.1mm (5 oz ?) thick. The beader needs running to and back, going deeper on each run. I went as deep as I could on my test piece but I reckon I would get a better rounded bead on thicker leather

I might try to make a smaller sized beader

On 5/19/2023 at 4:44 AM, Tequila said:

i made one today thought i would share. Found a long shank bolt with the right size shank to fit the knife. Cut to length, squared the hex with a sander. cut the round first , then narrowed the square to what i figured i wanted and filed in the outside bevel. Took about 30 minutes.

I would suggest stainless bolts if you can find them but its not a problem to use regular bolts. 

beader!.jpg

Very excellent

What method did you use to cut / shape the round?

Edited by fredk

13 hours ago, fredk said:

Very excellent

What method did you use to cut / shape the round?

a small round jewlers or needle file, they sell them in sets of six or so different shaped files for less than ten bucks in most hardware stores or Walmarts over here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDCBJ1G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B07WDCBJ1G&pd_rd_w=zrgcq&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=7QYBX8BZEYDSYKRSN8PB&pd_rd_wg=dtMG1&pd_rd_r=188ab0b2-ceec-4a7b-ab29-ec269340906a&s=musical-instruments&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

Thanks. I have many sets of small files, from jewellers super small to larger small files, plenty to choose from. I use them in my plastic model building

On 5/21/2023 at 2:25 PM, fredk said:

Well, I have a sort-of beader. It works

swivel knife beader, 01LWs.jpg

swivel knife beader, 03LWs.jpg

I made the working end at a slight angle. I thought it would be easier to work

swivel knife beader, 04LWs.jpg

swivel knife beader, 05LWs.jpg

Total width across is about 6.5mm (1/4 inch), with the bead about 4mm

The test leather is only 2.1mm (5 oz ?) thick. The beader needs running to and back, going deeper on each run. I went as deep as I could on my test piece but I reckon I would get a better rounded bead on thicker leather

I might try to make a smaller sized beader

I like it, nice rounded top, that’s what I’m after. 

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i made one today thought i would share. Found a long shank bolt with the right size shank to fit the knife. Cut to length, squared the hex with a sander. cut the round first , then narrowed the square to what i figured i wanted and filed in the outside bevel. Took about 30 minutes.

I would suggest stainless bolts if you can find them but its not a problem to use regular bolts. 

beader!.jpg

Your creativity and inventiveness never cease to amaze me. 

2 hours ago, Tequila said:

I like it, nice rounded top, that’s what I’m after. 

Your creativity and inventiveness never cease to amaze me. 

being poor made me learn things and a cheapskate to boot lol now i just cant see spending money on stuff i can make

6 hours ago, fredk said:

Thanks. I have many sets of small files, from jewellers super small to larger small files, plenty to choose from. I use them in my plastic model building

Some day i will finish this.

mgc1.jpg

Nice kit, make sure all the parts are plastic bagged. Seal the bags real good. Its very easy to loose parts out of boxes

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

being poor made me learn things and a cheapskate to boot lol now i just cant see spending money on stuff i can make

I can relate to that!  Nice job too.