ethereal

Troubleshooting Pfaff 145 thread breaking

I recently came across an issue with thread breaking/knotting with my Pfaff 145 H3. Im using tex 60 thread in both the upper threading as well as the bobbin, with a 110/18 needle to accompany (ive tried 100/16 as well). 

Here is an imgur link to a video of me handcranking the machine - I unfortunately couldnt upload the video as an attachment here as I exceeded the file size limit - https://imgur.com/a/mByhkyW

As shown in the video, the thread jams afters a couple of cranks (timestamp is 0:10 seconds left in the video). In trying to automatically sew (i.e, turn the machine on and sew), I get the same issue - thread breaking and knotting after 2-3 stitches.

The issue originally started after I noticed some of the bobbin thread was showing in my top stitches. No biggy, right? Well, to remedy this, I followed the manual provided by Pfaff and tried loosening the upper tension as well as tightening the bobbin tension to no avail. After messing around on both ends for a bit, the thread began to jam as you can see in the video. I've continued to adjust both tensions to see if I could get back to square one (loosening/tightening both threads) to no avail as well. Ive also tried cleaning out the bobbin, re-threading both the bobbin and upper thread, and re-screwing the upper tension.

Any ideas as to what can be causing this?

Edited by ethereal
Forgot to add timestamp

This may sound odd but put the cover on the right side back in place.  Make sure your timing is correct and dial in your tension.  I had a problem with birdnesting on my Pfaff 145 and it turned out the missing cover was the problem.  After putting in back and making all the adjustments all is well.

Thank you - ill try putting the cover back on and see what happens. Anywhere I can learn more about timing? I heard the term before but im not sure what it means in relation to my machine.

1 hour ago, ethereal said:

Anywhere I can learn more about timing?

Try here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQGPdiY6m9U

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzoN-I6ydI

Glad it worked for you too!  If you watch these videos, and sit down and play around with it, you'll learn more about your machine than you can imagine.  Do you have a manual for it?  I would have to check but I think the one for the 1245 was most helpful in setting the timing and all other settings as well, the 145, 545 and 1245 are all very similar.

You are aware that you have not installed the needle plate in the video, right? Without the needle plate in place it will never work correctly.