paqman

Missing Parts for a Singer 107W102

Hi all,

Not a Leather machine per say but i recently was given an old Singer 107W102. It looks in good condition but the head was clearly dropped and the top lever width adjustment and the bracket are broken clean off. I can find lots of parts for that model but not those parts. (224346 and 224347)

Besides getting another parts machine or fabricating something, any idea where i can find something?

Of course i checked the usual sites including Ebay and found nothing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.3d080d77c50cd0bd8e666ff5c938aa0a.png

Edited by paqman

I am bumping this. I am still looking for parts... ill even settle for another machine for parts or something.

I wonder if anyone out there has a bunch of Simanco parts sitting around and may have those parts? Thoughts? Anyone?

Andre

Thoughts? Anyone?

I've given up on old machines.  I like the creature comforts of newer machines. Like being able to set stitch length with a knob instead of having to turn the hand-wheel.   I never found it easy to find parts for old machines too. Even though it's commonly said they're easy to find.  

So it's not likely an answer you want to hear.   I've never stopped looking for a crank arm for my 211 so I can convert it to a conventional walking foot. It was designed to use an air-cylinder for raising the walking foot but, I just want a conventional manual adjustment.  The air cylinder setup gets in the way of a conventional knee lift. 

These days I enjoy being able to sew without having to jerk with the machine first. 

Thanks Quade,

I agree. Thats why i recently replaced my 111W155 with a Juki Lu563... its not worn out and i dont have to mess with it to make it work. Also, large bobbins...

Problem is that i cant leave well enough alone and i really enjoy restoring machines so every time i see that 107W102, i just want to fix and rebuild it.

Andre

Looks like both arms would be relatively easy to fab up.  Some tube, and flat stock.  Might need a lathe to get ID's correct. 

Yes! so what you are saying is that i should go get myself a mini lathe and just make the parts? lol im on board.

I thought about getting some brass stock and making the parts out of brass... It would look nice and be easier to work with...

I also thought about 3d printing the parts and casting them in aluminum or brass using the PLA loss method.

I have never used a lathe, 3d printer or done any casting soooo yea i have a lot to learn

Andre

I don't think you'd need a lathe. The holes I'm seeing have set screws in them so they really just need to be close enough to fit well over whatever shaft they engage.  Other than that, they're just little arms.  Having originals to pattern from would be nice but I don't think critical.

Edit: Don't those parts diagrams usually say something like "Full Size", "Quarter Size" or something like that? That might get you in the ballpark.

Edited by AlZilla

Call Ralph's Sewing in Denver.  When Singer got out of the industrial sewing parts business, I think they bought all the parts. Give them the parts numbers

glenn

I don't think you'd need a lathe. The holes I'm seeing have set screws in them so they really just need to be close enough to fit well over whatever shaft they engage.  Other than that, they're just little arms.  Having originals to pattern from would be nice but I don't think critical.

I use a lathe for everything.  It's a universal tool   I'd damaged a PCV part when fixing a pool pump and didn't want wait till a new part showed up.  I used the lathe to clean up the old part. Basically shaved off the old coupler so I could re-glue to it. 

It's a tool you don't realize you needed till you have one.   I've made suspension bushings with it out of Delrin for one of my cars.     I needed curtain rod hangers and didn't want to go to home depot.  Made some out of aluminum stock.  They look pretty good.  If I can chuck it in there, I can cut it to size

I agree that the sewing machine arms sizes aren't that critical. 

ok so i thought i should be able to make those parts in brass but could not find appropriate stock locally so i ended up getting some delrin and made the parts that way.

Not perfect but it will get the machine functional. 

72212362441__B2BCEEAC-73C4-4DBA-AB8E-D58C8A12B570.thumb.jpeg.ef4bf13b064da3ad1d45cd28ee3b1825.jpeg

I also found that Singer made a 107G302 which used the same parts. Unfortunately, the lever is the same part and still unavailable and the other part is slightly different with part number 508202 but again, its not available.

image.thumb.png.5aff1f6260bf063eae95760b216256ab.png

Lastly, i had a spare timing belt for a 107W1, part 224400, and figured it would fit, well, it wont. This machine uses a slightly longer belt, part number 224303. So i guess im using the old link belt till i figure something out.

Hey, nice work!  Keep us posted on how it works out!

thanks all!

I have officially rebuilt it last night, see below.

The parts fit perfectly. Im not loving the plastic parts but they work, i may still find some brass stock and remake them in brass, it would also look quite nice. My main concern is the set screws stripping the plastic so i was careful when tightening them down. I had to omit the tension spring that usually stick out next to the big adjustment knob as it was also missing (Most likely broke off like the other parts). I put a washer and screw in there to keep that dial from falling of the post. Luckily, i had this black spring and installed it between the lift rod and the existing hole in the casting, this keeps the knee lift tension rod down at all times so pushing the knee lift increases the sew width and allows it to return to centre when you let go.

The lever i made is used to adjust how you want to sew (Width), left to centre, side to side, right to centre. I have to drill the 2 outer holes once i figure out the limits of the needle but doubt i would use those settings. There are limit set screws at the bottom that limit the side to side movement so the needle wont swing out too far.

The large knob needs to be loosened to allow the knee lift to adjust sew width on the fly, if you tighten it, it sets the width and wont allow the knee lift to move. There is a right hand screw keeping the knob from coming off when loosened all the way which is a nice touch.

IMG_2304.thumb.jpg.c0b57a07be5715926c99f8f1b4a0d530.jpgIMG_2302.jpg.5a6d3eb6fd210aaa1230e9d7f50c6d5d.jpg

20 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

so way way cool :o :You_Rock_Emoticon:

How about making the parts from aluminum?

Thanks!

Yep i thought about that also! i have worked with alluminum before and it can easily be worked with woodworking tools... ill look into it.

There is a metal supermarket near by, ill go and pick a few chunks and see what i can come up with...

ok so i struggled to adjust everything and it kept jamming, turns out, my lever kept slipping sooo.... i stopped at the metal supermarket and bought some aluminum and re-made the lever. Much better now!

I got enough to remake the other bracket also but it is locked in place and is solid so i may keep it.

IMG_2305.thumb.jpg.219fd6e72161a52008413d2fa4e00c22.jpg