FFbullrider

Sole supplier for flip flops

B.F. Goodrich,  Michelin in Vietnam

https://us.vibram.com/company/shoe-service/shoe-outsole-repair/

If they can't help you, try Etsy. There's quite a lot of diy supplies being sold. 

Edited by Klara
Grammar

I've read in a book I bought, "The Sandalmaking Workshop" by Rachel Corry, that other brands of soling material are Soletech, Ultra, and Birkenstock. Typical flip flop soles are often ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA), sold in sheets or sometimes large foot shape pairs. I have seen replacement shoe/boot soles on Amazon. 

If you google shoe repair, cobblers supplies and the like you will find suppliers who sell outsoles.

And, of course, old tire treads. Long used in Mexico (and I am sure a lot of other places). I saved some old utility trailer tires (replaced just due to age, so lots of tread) expressly for this purpose. Though honestly, I probably never will, not enough years left in me for the all the back burner projects.

Edited by Wepster
thought of more info

I've seen hundreds of them made from inner tubes and whatever worn out tire was available.

Plus . . . you can have a lot of fun with conversations started just by wearing them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for all your help, I found what I needed on Etsy.  I wasn’t aware that men could shop on Etsy until today… huh..

Dwight, great name. I don’t find someone with the same name as me often. 

44 minutes ago, FFbullrider said:

Thanks for all your help, I found what I needed on Etsy.  I wasn’t aware that men could shop on Etsy until today… huh..

Dwight, great name. I don’t find someone with the same name as me often. 

My mother named me . . . Ike was winning the war in Europe . . . she liked him . . . end of story.

But glad to see we are not the only ones with that great name.

May God bless,

Dwight

@FFbullrider  Why on earth shouldn't men shop at Etsy? When last I looked, they don't ask if you are female. 

Coming to the topic in question, I make moccasins and have just managed to get hold of some old tire tubes. Can't wait to use them. When well shaped, they work very well. Besides, as moccasins are bespoke made for each person, the soles will exactly fit each foot as well.

@Dwight You are right about being conversation starters. I got the tire tubes at an estate sale, and the woman next to me kept looking at me, puzzled as to why I wanted them. When I explained, she was delighted. She did not know they could be used in that way.

Edited by SUP

how long does inner tube material (I would truck tire inner tubes to be thicker) last as an outsole? No doubt, great straps.

When I was young, the hot thing (for about a year, which I suppose is long for a hot thing) was a sandal, made in India, sorta flip flop ish, except there was a loop for the big toe in addition to the thong. Supposedly made of water buffalo, you were supposed to get them soaking wet and wear them so they would conform to your feet (Late 1960s).

Could be Kolhapuris. Need to be broken in, to shape to one's feet. Very comfortable and hand made to boot, At least the ones I wore growing up in India. No idea what they sold here. I plan to make them as soon as I become better at leatherworking. 

good to know, when you do it, you should do a tutorial, post it on Youtube. I never had a pair, my cousin did, he was quite proud of them.

OP, would love to see your step by step on your flip flops!

I will, whenever the day comes. I just started leatherworking in January 2023, so still very much a newbie.. with ambitions! :)