captain

Is it possible to remove dye? (leather chair)

I have a vintage leather recliner and it looks like somebody re-dyed the seat back. It is a different color than the rest of the chair (more orange-y).

When using saddle soap on the chair, orange dye bleeds off so I am very hesitant to sit on it.

I've seen deglazers but just wondering how harsh that would be. What does the finish of a tan leather look like after using a deglazer? 

Would something less toxic like vinegar or rubbing alcohol work to remove a dye/finish like this?

Open to any thoughts/suggestions on removing or how to prevent this dye from bleeding? I'd be fine just stabilizing it so it doesn't rub off on anything. (wondering if a simple wax conditioner might do this)

Thanks!

Here is a quick photo of the area:

hEMHHpp.png

Edited by captain

Any pointers? Stumped on where to go with this thing and would hate to get rid of it.

Have never encountered this issue with leather. Thanks

Sounds like somebody tried to re-colour without removing the original lacquer top finish.

Now, if it were me; I'd wash it all down with plenty of cellulose (lacquer) thinners, then apply a new coat of a tan dye and then a lacquer top finish 

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Sounds like somebody tried to re-colour without removing the original lacquer top finish.

Now, if it were me; I'd wash it all down with plenty of cellulose (lacquer) thinners, then apply a new coat of a tan dye and then a lacquer top finish 

Thanks! Is there a less toxic option? This is already in my house and It was very hard to move.

I don't necessarily care about the color, I just want to stabilize it so no dye rubs off. 

Wouldn't a lacquer prevent the leather from breathing/being able to be conditioned?

My quick and dirty suggestion would be to lay a cheap blanket on the recliner so that any dye would rub off onto that instead of your clothes. At least until you have found a better solution. 

On 5/25/2023 at 3:05 AM, Klara said:

My quick and dirty suggestion would be to lay a cheap blanket on the recliner so that any dye would rub off onto that instead of your clothes. At least until you have found a better solution. 

Thanks. I guess I was just hoping there was a somewhat easy way to remove dye like this. Hate covering up all the leather but that might be the best route