Leatherguy123

basting tape for polyester webbing?

The seamstick or basting I have for my polyester webbing will not stick to it. Sticks to my leather and vinyl no problem, but the polyester webbing I have it wont even phase it...is there a special basting tape for polyester webbing I should be using?

Never used  it before , but hemming tape  thats used on fabrics may be used,  but its used with an iron , perhaps on a low setting?  Or, Tenacious Tape, a peel and stick type tape for making repairs.  Theres also Kikusui 190 Seamstick tape , holds stuff down while sewing.

HS

8 hours ago, Leatherguy123 said:

Sticks to my leather and vinyl no problem, but the polyester webbing I have it wont even phase it...is there a special basting tape for polyester webbing I should be using?

How how thick and rough is the surface of the polyester webbing. I ran across this problem when I tried to use a thick very knobby webbing. The basting (double sided) tape needs surface contact so the smoother the two surfaces you are trying to connect the better particularly with smaller widths of basting tape. You could try regular heavy duty double sided tape or gluing the webbing in place but the downside maybe those may gum up the needle. A photo of the webbing may help with what's going on.

kgg

It's a very light duty webbing, almost like ribbon for wrapping paper. It's for reinforcement on a French seam. Trying to figure out a way to make it stick so it doesn't wander on me.

For that sort of need I just use ordinary thin (black) material and glue a cut piece on

17 hours ago, Leatherguy123 said:

The seamstick or basting I have for my polyester webbing will not stick to it. Sticks to my leather and vinyl no problem, but the polyester webbing I have it wont even phase it...is there a special basting tape for polyester webbing I should be using?

Basting Tape not sticking very well, or loose bonding to Webbing Poly's, Urethane's, Nylon . Thinner Synthetic fabrics it does well and strong till it stitched, but on the heavier weight weave of webbing's it does Not hold very long for waiting around to get sewn. The Basting Tape after pealing off the backing is 'ultra-thin' so it really only meant for thin light materials seam fold .

( Me ) , This---->  if I got a layers of any 'heavy materials' that need to be held firm and strong for critical placement. I will sometimes use a dab of Silicon Stick, Hot Glue Gun, it holds firm, the Silicon stick is soft, Needles and thread easy go threw the Silicon for stitching after cooling . Heavy wraps/folds/layers hot glue gun works great, been doing it for many years.