Mstowers

Complete newbie with a Bradbury Repairer

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join. My husband and I bought a Bradbury Repairer imported by the Dunlap Machinery Co. It was being sold or sent for scrap. We are in love! I sew and my husband makes knives. We are hoping against hope to find the parts to get it going. The bobbin and case are intact. It was locked up when when purchased. It was such an exciting moment when those wheels turned and the presser foot moved beautifully up and down. I was instantly hooked. Off on my search for parts and leather!

1 hour ago, Mstowers said:

Bradbury Repairer

Moved to Leather Sewing machines.  Thought there might be some help here for you where the sewing machine guys hangout.

Some pictures would be fun. Never heard of it before but the pics I find look a lot like these chinese shoe patchers people seem to be so fond of torturing themselves with.

3 hours ago, Mstowers said:

My husband and I bought a Bradbury Repairer imported by the Dunlap Machinery Co.

A good place to start for info would be the "A1 Repairing or the "Shoe Makers Friend" at http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/bradbury/a1 repairing.htm

Parts maybe as scarce as hens teeth particularly with the machine not being produced for the last 100 years. The closest copy of the machine I can think of would be the Chinese Shoe Patcher fondly known as the "Tinkers Delight". I would love to see some photo's of your machine.

kgg

Edited by kgg

Thanks for the kind help! I’ll try to adjust the size of my photos and upload.

2 hours ago, kgg said:

I would love to see some photo's of your machine.

That would be good, had to google it to update my knowledge of machines.  Quite a nice looking machine with the  stand it hopefully comes with . 

HS

Picture of my machine.  It is missing a spring and the presser foot lever. The wheel just behind the hand wheel. I’m not sure if that is a brake or a bobbin winder??? Other than those 2 things it appears to be complete. I’m not sure about needle size. My son’s friends is searching for a file to 3D print additional bobbins. I took the face off and it is clean inside. It really wasn’t too stuck. It just needed patience and oil.

IMG_2023-6-1-101940.jpeg

Bradbury built from 1872-1923.  Built in England.  Smallest arm of any shoepatcher.  Were great machines.    I have manual on the machine. Closest needle system to Bradbury needle was Singer 175 x 5,7.

glenn

Oh my goodness Glenn, that is great information! I’d be happy to pay for a copy of the manual if that is something you would be willing / able to do. Thank you so much for the information!