LzCraft

Lined Cartridge Belt - Stitch through bullet loops or glue in stitches?

As the title says, am I supposed to glue the lining over the stiches for the bullet loops or stitch through the lining? I've seen both done. I'm assuming glued over stitches are more resistant to wear, while a stitched through construction is much easier to repair. 

Belt: 10-11 oz. Heavy veg tan

Liner: 6-7 oz. Veg tan

Loops: 4-5 oz. Veg tan

Thread: 18/6 Waxed linen thread

Method: Saddle Stitch

I think it comes down to 

1. personal preference

2. aesthetics

3. can you sew through at least 8mm of leather, assuming the loop leather is on the outer surface of the main belt

If the stitches are on the outside of the inside of the belt they might be subject to more wear whereas if they under the lining the thread is protected

Why sew at all? Punch slots on the main belt and weave the bullet loop leather through the slots. Do it wet and the loop leather will dry to shape and stay in place. Then you only need a couple of stitches or a rivet at each end of the bullet loop strip

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I think it comes down to 

1. personal preference

2. aesthetics

3. can you sew through at least 8mm of leather, assuming the loop leather is on the outer surface of the main belt

If the stitches are on the outside of the inside of the belt they might be subject to more wear whereas if they under the lining the thread is protected

Why sew at all? Punch slots on the main belt and weave the bullet loop leather through the slots. Do it wet and the loop leather will dry to shape and stay in place. Then you only need a couple of stitches or a rivet at each end of the bullet loop strip

Yes, laced loops are easier to make and more durable than stitched loops. However, when looking at surviving examples of cartridge belts from 19th Century America, the loops are mostly stitched. I personally have never seen an authentic ranger style belt with laced loops. Many belts then were unlined, but when looking at lined examples, they show that both stitch through and glue in were done. Of course there was also the money belt, which I guess is "folded in". 

I've read of different accounts . . . even one where the guy had laced loops and no lining . . . they were loose . . . if he took out a few and took off his belt . . . the rest of the bullets fell on the ground . . . . it was laced so loose.  

I've sewn and laced . . . gave up sewing . . . laced ones are far more accurate and I think they look better.

Customers get laced or go somewhere else.

May God bless,

Dwight

Personally, I’d stitch through both in case a repair is needed one day and it creates a better bond between the two. 

For me, I’ve gone to lacing the loops with a small ‘tack stitch’ between each loop. I’ll either stitch between or use a rivet. This eliminates the issues with looseness when multiple cartridges are removed.