Bert03241

Tablet case too Small Help

I measured the tablet and made it a half inch wider , but its too small I can't get the tablet in the case. I soaked it in warm water hoping it would stretch enough to get it in No Joy.

Any Ideas on how to make it fit? Its 2 pieces of 8 oz veg tan sewn on 3 sides open on top to slide tablet in. LOL

If you already wet it and it won't stretch enough there probably is no fix for it.  I have done the same with holsters and have never been able to get one that is to small to stretch enough to fit.

Todd

Would unsewing it and adding welts give you some room to work? I think we're talking about length rather than width but maybe.

Or, cut it straight down the center and add a filler piece in contrasting color. Maybe do it all - welts and a filler piece in contrasting color.

How about cutting the case in half and adding a strip of leather.

cant cut it in half as I have engraved painted images on both sides:(

1 hour ago, AlZilla said:

Would unsewing it and adding welts give you some room to work? I think we're talking about length rather than width but maybe.

Or, cut it straight down the center and add a filler piece in contrasting color. Maybe do it all - welts and a filler piece in contrasting color.

No I'm talking about width

An extreme method, an old one used for stretching shoes/boots. Get a piece of wood, solid or ply, cut and shape to match the tablet exactly. Then cut in half. Soak the leather. Insert both pieces of wood, hammer them down into the case. Keep the case from drying out. Get a piece of thin steel bar. Hammer that down into the slot where the two wood pieces  come together. The thickness of the steel bar needs to be the same as that lost by the saw cut plus about 1/2 or 1mm. All this should force the leather inside the case to compress and the case to stretch a bit

4 minutes ago, fredk said:

An extreme method, an old one used for stretching shoes/boots. Get a piece of wood, solid or ply, cut and shape to match the tablet exactly. Then cut in half. Soak the leather. Insert both pieces of wood, hammer them down into the case. Keep the case from drying out. Get a piece of thin steel bar. Hammer that down into the slot where the two wood pieces  come together. The thickness of the steel bar needs to be the same as that lost by the saw cut plus about 1/2 or 1mm. All this should force the leather inside the case to compress and the case to stretch a bit

might try that when time allows

Cut a wood blank the size of the tablet , then cut that on the diagonal , put bottom piece in first , now top piece and hammer it in . All with the leather wet  well with warm water ,

stretch.png

Edited by Gezzer
can't spell ......

I say throw it out and start over. Speaking from experience, it is likely that in one of your attempts to force the tablet into the case you will break the tablet.

Right its in the garbage:nono: Front and Back:crazy:

20230605_202816 (Copy).jpg

20230605_202802 (Copy).jpg

Edited by Bert03241

Trim the artwork and sew it onto a new cover in applique fashion

pull the threads , get about an 1/2" inch strap of thinner leather  sew it around the edge of your pieces in the existing holes like a border on an inlay  then resew that new edge. 

maybe 5/8" or even 3/4" sorry I don't have an edit button.

Chuck has the best answer

Sometimes using it as a learning experience and making another that will fit is the least frustrating solution. I recently made my first border stamped slim jim holster. The border stamping turned out good but the slim part was too sim. When I wet it to form fit it the gun wouldn't go all the way in. I finally got it soaking wet and it still wouldn't and I didn't give up easily. Hard to do but in the trash can it went. My main trouble with the whole thing was dealing with my mistake. I have been doing leatherwork for many, many years and it really bothered me to make such a boo-boo.

have to agree with Chuck.. cut the stitching and add in a new strip/gusset to give the needed extra space - and I would stitch it to the inside of the main panels, using the existing stitch holes.

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

pull the threads , get about an 1/2" inch strap of thinner leather  sew it around the edge of your pieces in the existing holes like a border on an inlay  then resew that new edge. 

maybe 5/8" or even 3/4" sorry I don't have an edit button.

Chuck, I can see this would work with making the side wider, but then the bottom is a problem , the tablet wouldn't slide all the way down.Also I wouldn't know how to sew the pieces in by hand.This is to much work and a lot of leather to trash. I have a smaller tablet but its a lot smaller . I might put that one in and make a new case.

Decisions ,Decisions

6 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Chuck, I can see this would work with making the side wider, but then the bottom is a problem , the tablet wouldn't slide all the way down.Also I wouldn't know how to sew the pieces in by hand.This is to much work and a lot of leather to trash. I have a smaller tablet but its a lot smaller . I might put that one in and make a new case.

Decisions ,Decisions

make it a 3 piece gusset.. with the bottom piece being slightly larger than the sides..
stitch the bottom in first to both front and back panels, then attach the side gussets

make the side gussets with a rounded bottom edge to match the bottom gusset shape that allows the tablet to slide down further.. see drawing below
I would stitch up both edges of the side gussets at the same time to make it easier to get at all the stitch holes (2 sets of needles & thread - one for front edge, one for back edge - if that makes sense?) do 2 or 3 stitches on the front, then 2-3 stitches on the back, alternating back and forth until you get to the top

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

I grew up sewing and making alterations, so this sort of thing is kind of second nature to me, just a different "fabric"

Edited by Heartless