PaulineSul

Vintage Leather items and machinery

Hello to the lovely leatherwork community,

I joined the forum as my father in law has passed away and I have so many sewing machines machines, presses,  leather goods, many of the items I am finding which I have no idea what they are! lol

I have about 12 sewing machines, enough shoe lasts, leather, buckles, rivets, hand tools, punch tools and various other items to last a lifetime.

The shoe shop was around for 100 years and I know a couple of the machines are 1850's just from a little google search.

I am hoping that people will share their knowledge with me so I can make sure the items are given a new home and preserved.

Thank you for reading this post.

Edited by PaulineSul
Trying to upload images - adding tags

I'm sorry for your loss.

I am on the other side of the pond, or else I would offer to pop over and see what treasures your father-in-law had collected.  If you post pictures we will do our collective best to identify the items.  In the mean time, you can search for cordwainer tools and cobbler tools to give you a bit of insight into what you have there. 

Thank you so much.

Being in this group has already allowed me to identify a sole stitching machine.

I will defo post pictures. So many hand tools too 

Kind Regards

Pauline 

I am having trouble uploading images, they are standard Jpeg but saying they are too large?  Is there another way to share an image?  Thank you 

I am new here also, but I suggest edit the pics to lower resolution. Sometimes, for me, the easiest way is to choose to email them, that tends to reduce the file size for email. I email them to myself save them, then post them on a forum.

Thank you, I just tried that but it was still too large. I have a lot of machine images and other items to share so that I can utilise the expertise of the group. I think I will need to find an app to change the pixels? Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated 

Hello,

Any idea what this machine is? your help is much appreciated 

Pauline 

IMG_5198.jpg

On 6/8/2023 at 2:08 PM, PaulineSul said:

I am having trouble uploading images, they are standard Jpeg but saying they are too large?  Is there another way to share an image?

There are a number of suggestions here.  Reduce file sizes to about 1024 pixels wide.  There are also a number of applications on the web that you can find also.  Since you have lots of photos, I would suggest and application or program that will do batches of files as it will save you a lot of time.

The photo above is too small to see any detail. 

Thank you, I will find an app to re-size the photographs  :)

Gimp is similar to Photoshop, and is free.
you can do all kinds of things with it.. resize, crop, rotate, and so on..
generally speaking, when i resize an image, i start by cropping it (cutting out any excess image area that is not needed), then make sure it is rotated to correct orientation, then i will resize, making the longest edge 800 pixels.. which is usually plenty large enough.

@Heartless Thank you. I have downloaded an app but if its a pain I will try Gimp :) So many items in Dads storage that I could be asking many many more questions 

Have you access to a computer or lap-top with Windows Paint on it? You can resize photos in Paint

When I want a picture to upload somewhere, I text it to my email address. Text pics tend to be fairly small and they're automatically in my email. I use GIMP but it's not really one or two clicks and done.

I use photo puma. Free and very easy.

never said Gimp was super easy, but it is very useful.  Windows Paint is a bigger pain in the butt to me than Gimp is, lol
personally, I have an older copy of Photoshop that I bought years ago, and still use regularly.

sending pictures via text to email is not the best idea.. yeah, it might work, but you also loose quality and that is not a good thing

I upload pics from my phone to my dropbox account (free) then download on the pc... any cropping, resizing, etc gets done in photoshop

I am a real dummy with computers but put my pictures on imgur and then post them with no problem on any forum including this one. Just choose the photo, chose the size of thumbnail, click copy and it's ready to go. Anything more difficult and I couldn't post pictures. Imgur is free.

So many ways, so much advice we'll have the poor wee lassie's head spinning like a Highland Reel !      :lol:  :banana:

Edited by fredk

3 hours ago, doubleh said:

put my pictures on imgur and then post them with no problem on any forum including this one

We appreciate people not posting 3rd party hosted links as many of them disappear due to changes in hosts' policies, host going out of business, and the person who posted the photos to a 3rd party host moves, deletes, or closes their account resulting in the photos disappearing and leaving a useless post.  There are many examples of that problem on this site.  Here are a couple for your edification!

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/14658-basic-leather-carving-tutorial/

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/31601-leatherman-charge-pouch/

or they end up with watermarks on them that make it hard to see the actual image, like photobucket did to people that didnt want to pay exorbitant fees a few years ago...