JAM

custom boots that don't fit

Can someone explain to me how a custom boot is made "by volume"? What does that mean, exactly? I had "custom" riding boots made that were too tight in the toes to wear, and the soles are much narrower then the drawn outlines of each foot, and the reasoning given to me was "the bootmakers use a formula and build the boots by volume". Does that make sense somehow?

Edited by JAM
More details

To me, absolutely NO. They are not custom made but production line made. Custom made is to your requirements.  Whether it is customizing a car, motorcycle, EDC bag or boots, the item is made and/or altered to the customer's requirements

Obviously these boots do fit that description. I'd send them back and get a full refund for both the cost and sending them back and threaten legal action forthwith

Edited by fredk

Thank you fredk.  That's what I think, too, but I didn't know if maybe that was a thing about bootmaking that I just didn't understand. I've been going round with them about this issue and the current answer is "they have specialized leather stretching equipment and will stretch the leather to make them fit". I said I don't think it will work but go ahead, prove me wrong. Unfortunately they are in Europe. I think a refund (they are expensive boots) is probably going to be the end result. So disappointing - I really believed they made custom boots, and I can't wear non-custom boots. 

My advice is not to accept the stretching. The consumer law in the UK and most of Europe, and maybe the US, is once you agree to a fix or repair you are stuck with finally accepting those goods, even if the fix or repair is unsuccessful. I always insist on a completely new replacement item

After some back and forth and unwillingness to believe that they don't fit, they were going to make me a whole new pair of boots, and asked for new foot drawings and measurements. I sent that, they plugged it into their "ancient formula", and said they came up with exactly the same template, so there's no point in making new boots. A formula doesn't sound custom to me but I know nothing about bootmaking, which is why I posted my question here. I suspect I will be a disgruntled customer who posts a bad review of my experience with them on Facebook as a warning to others. It's not the first time I've wasted a lot of money and it won't be the last, but at least I'm more confident that I'm not wrong, they really aren't the "bespoke, custom" bootmakers they sell themselves as. Not being a bootmaker I didn't know if this "building by volume" and "formula" idea was really as flaky as I thought, but I'm pretty sure that custom riding boots ought to fit my feet and not be excruciatingly painful. Thank you for your input and advice.

Using a 'formula' does not sound correct. 42 (!) or so years ago I got 'custom' made motorcycle riding boots made. The company did not have the exact size in every direction that I wanted so they offered to make mea pair to fit. I sent various measurements, an outline of each foot and even a pair of my favourite motorcycling socks. 4 weeks later I got a pair of motorcycling boots which fitted perfectly and which I used for the next 28 years. They were still good when I passed them on to another rider after I gave up riding

the only info i could come up with on boot volume is an article explaining it for ski boots. Some type of calculations according to your foot length width and height. it does say its not a standard so there are variations in how they are interpreted. It also says it makes for a very tight boot. Over all my experience is saying it is probably a program built to do what experienced boot makers can do without a computer program. As soon as you mentioned "bespoke" my hackles were raised as to the amount of experience this company has in actual boot making compared to modern advertising gimmicks.

I would send them back I've seen handmade custom boots made correctly by experienced boot makers, they fit perfectly as Fred has stated.

Volume made does not translate into custom made. Personally I would return them and look for a true custom bootmaker. I don't know what custom bootmakers do today but the one I worked with many years ago measured your foot right there in his shop and fitted a last to each foot. They fit first time and he had customers come quite a distance to get a pair of boots made by him. Now it seems most things are made just to get them out the door as quickly as possible and to heck with the customer.

Edited by doubleh

19 hours ago, JAM said:

Can someone explain to me how a custom boot is made "by volume"? What does that mean, exactly?

To me a custom boot would mean constructed to fit my two pegs perfectly. Just like having a tailor made suit, it fits only one person perfectly. By "volume" to me is just another way of saying "off the rack". Have you search for a boot-maker close to your location or maybe ask a pedorthic clinic for recommendations on who could make a custom boot for your needs.

kgg

Thank you, all of you, for your comments. I'm a lot more confident now that the boots should be comfortable from hour one if they are truly custom made, and I should ask for a refund. These boots are tall English riding boots and there aren't many companies that make them custom; this company makes them in all kinds of colors and you can design whatever you want,  which I suppose makes them "bespoke", but they still need to be custom fit to my feet. Thanks again for answering my question and for all your advice.