Sign in to follow this  
broncobuster

lettering in a straight line, evenly spaced?

how does everyone get there lettering in a straight line, evenly spaced? or when ya do lettering on a curve?

Hi Bronkbuster i could help withe the first part, the way i do it is to clamp a steel ruler to the piece on the block and just put the stamps against the ruler, Don

Like Don said, use a rule. And, to get a nice curve for initials, I use one of the plastic school compasses (measurment on both the straight and curved sides). It's only one size but, that's all I've needed.

DON and REGIS, summed it up very good, only thing

i can add is TO THINK TWICE, POUND ONCE....

make sure your surface has no bounce to it....

I am sure you are useing a piece of Marble.

If it is not real thick, make sure you do have a very heavy or thick

work surface.

Hi BB,

First thing you have to make sure of is that there is the same relief between the bottom edge of the letters and the bottom of the background of the stamp, you just want to make sure that the letters will line up when you use the bottom of the stamp as a guide, a little sanding or grinding might be needed.

Now for straight lines you can use a ruler or straight edge to line up the letters. When you are doing curves you obviously need a curved template. You can get these in various radius from lettering suppliers like Stahls or you can make them yourself out of LDPE sheet or other plastic. Just draw the radius on the plastic (or metal for that matter) and cut it out. It is handy to have a long vice to fit over your stamping block (like a 2x4 and a couple of big clamps) to hold the stamping template steady to the leather while stamping. Make sure you have a heavy table and block so you don't get any bounce or you will get a double stamp.

Art

how does everyone get there lettering in a straight line, evenly spaced? or when ya do lettering on a curve?