bennadatto

How to make holes line up on holster

Good afternoon all! I keep running into the same problem everytime I make a holster. How do you get the stitch holes to line up on you holsters!?

My method has been: after holster is tooled, run the stitch wheel down the tooled side of leather, fold leather over to make corners line up (as thought it were stitched) punch hole in the backside of holster through the first stitch hole, then run the stitch wheel from first hole in backside to end of holster.

It seems, in theory, that if both sides are the same size, and the first hole matches, all the stitch holes should line up, but they usually don't.

In the end, the holster looks fine, and the user would never know the difference, but I DO, and the last holster I made had a slight twist from the mis-matched stitching.

HELP!

I'm not a holster maker, but in stitching two layers, I always cement them together and punch through both layers.

Ian

bennadatto

The way I do it is on my cowboy holsters, which I line : sand all my edges, then cut my stitching groves. Next I round all my edges. I will then take my stitching wheel and start marking my stick holes. I start from a corner, usually the top of the main seam on the front side of the holster working my way accross the throat and around the fender. stopping at the top corner of the main seam on the back side of the holster. Then I run the stitching wheel down the main seam starting at the top corner down to the bottom corner. This is done on the front and back side. Then I count the stitch marks on both sides to verify that both sides are the same length with the same amount of marks. I try real hard to make sure the first and last stitch of the main seam land right at the corners. If the number of holes do not match, adjustments need to be made until there are. Then you can punch your holes, fold, glue and stitch the main seam. I have even done it by marking and punching hole on the front side of holster, then folded, glued and sanded main seam. Next groved back side of main seam and then punch hole on threw from the front side, taking care to hit grove on back side.

Another tip is when making your pattern, fold the paper in half when cutting it out. this should insure that both sides are the same length and should end up with the same amount of stitch marks. I may have left something out but that is the main idea.

Hope some of this made since and helps...sounded good when I was typing :rolleyes:

Edited by CedarCreek

Good afternoon all! I keep running into the same problem everytime I make a holster. How do you get the stitch holes to line up on you holsters!?

My method has been: after holster is tooled, run the stitch wheel down the tooled side of leather, fold leather over to make corners line up (as thought it were stitched) punch hole in the backside of holster through the first stitch hole, then run the stitch wheel from first hole in backside to end of holster.

It seems, in theory, that if both sides are the same size, and the first hole matches, all the stitch holes should line up, but they usually don't.

In the end, the holster looks fine, and the user would never know the difference, but I DO, and the last holster I made had a slight twist from the mis-matched stitching.

Ian has the answer, . . . get yourself a small can of contact cement, . . . put the cement on the edges of the holster (if you are using a welt between the two pieces, glue it to the back first, then line up the front and glue it down). You have to be real careful with contact cement, as any extra will show up by not allowning the dye to penetrate. Keep it about 1/16 of an inch from the edge and you should not have any trouble.

I use a set of dividers to mark the inside of mine before I put the cement on, . . . and it works out well that way.

Then when you are stitching, . . . you only have one set of holes to worry about. Plus, . . . once you put it together with the contact cement, . . . lay the holster down on its back, . . . take another piece of scrap leather, . . . good side down, . . . and use a small hammer/mallet to forge the two pieces together into one piece. If you do it right, . . . the stitches almost then become embellishing adornments, . . . and not really necessary.

May God bless,

Dwight

HELP!

I echo Dwight's input about gluing the edge before you punch holes. I have several Craftsman brand spring loaded clamps (with pivoting heads to the clamp surface stays level) that I've lined with a piece of leather specifically for clamping glued pieces to set.

I also cut those edges slightly larger than the stitching calls for so I have adequate room to glue and clamp. The extra I just cut off and then dress the edge like normal. It makes for a very tidy, secure stitch edge.

Edited by Shorts