bruce johnson

Covering swells

What oz kangaroo lace does everybody recommend to lace up swells?

Thanks in advance

Kangaroo does not come in much variety of weights. It does, however, come in different tannages and finishes. I recommend vega tanned and finished weight will be about 1½ - 2 oz.

Thanks guys

I already messed this cover up, but decided to use it to practice welts. Since my welt is not very good, it looks like I made a wise decision. That doesn't happen often. I tried to keep the welt as low as I could and I know I am not as tight at the top as I would like to be. The part that concerns me is the bottom. My kneejerk reaction is that the bottom is wrong, but maybe the top is keeping the bottom from being tight. Thanks for any help.

Randy

post-46116-0-39600300-1410050363_thumb.j

post-46116-0-89134500-1410050838_thumb.j

post-46116-0-60298400-1410050869_thumb.j

Randy,

Sorry for delaying a reply. I have been out of contact for a week. Your welt is basically correct. The bottom is fine. The top should be tighter. When cutting the swell before installing the welts, cut your top at more of a taper angle into the top of the welt. This will allow a smoother transition from welt to smooth swell. The bottom does not need to be any tighter than you have it. You can easilly press out the space that you have and fit it tight to the tree. Remember, many times we sweat a swell on without any welts, so we have to work all of the slack out the bottom. One more thing, don't fold over the top of the welt inside the swell cover, leave it long and wide. This will hide any tree that might show thru, and help with a smooth transition.

Keith

Edited by kseidel

Keith,

Thanks for the feedback. I did the other side of the cover and I think it is much better. It is tighter at the top and bottom. I need to make sure I get a better stitch line along the welt so it is more uniform. I wasn't paying enough attention, because I knew it was just practice. I re-read the section in Harry Adams' book. It makes more sense after a little practical experience. At least now, I have a better idea of how to fit the whole swell cover and the little things that I need to focus on.

Right now I have to finish my design for the cantle back so I can tool it. Then I will get back on the swell cover. I might even make some spur straps in between to rest my mind.

Randy

post-46116-0-23362300-1410285621_thumb.j

post-46116-0-27841000-1410285628_thumb.j

Better fit on the other side Randy. If you spike that cover down tight to the bar while wet, it will stretch very tight over the top. Question... will you be using an inskirt rigging? Ohterwise, you need the rigging in place before the swell cover.

Keith,

It will be an in-skirt rigging. Thanks for the advice.

Randy