Sign in to follow this  
equiss

Zippered binder / portfolio patterns

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone out there can help me, I would like to make some portfolio, paper carriers, zippered binders like the picture shown that is off of a website under the directors chair post, but I haven't the slightest idea where to start. I have all the Stohlman construction secrets books, but still - I don't have a clue on how a person would go put on together and make a pattern for the folio, card case slots, and pen slot. Anyone have a pattern that they would be willing to share with me? OR, instructions on how to get startd with just a basic zippered portfolio?

zipper_binder.jpg

zipper_binder.jpg

post-7290-1232032886_thumb.jpg

post-7290-1232032932_thumb.jpg

Tandy has a zippered folio kit now. It's pricey, but might be a good start for you. I've made one for my husband.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/de...ature=Product_5

Tandy has a zippered folio kit now. It's pricey, but might be a good start for you. I've made one for my husband.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/de...ature=Product_5

Thanks - I want to make lots of things like this, and I just can't believe that unfortunately Tandy is about the only resource. Better than nothing, and I had thought of that - I was hoping to be able to get a pattern or start without having to buy the kit - I just want mine lined leather, not all the fancy stuff inside.

thanks again!

For a lot of stuff there aren't going to be any published patterns. The principles are in the Stohlman case book series. For the rest of it, you just have to fit, fudge, and swear sometimes unfortunately. Most of the time you have to make up your own zipper. For the pockets and loops it depends on what size pen, how many business cards, and stuff like that.

I made this "Writer's Briefcase" based purely on the Stohlman books. The customer had some very specific requirements for the inside, which I did my best to meet.

briefcase_writers_14.jpg

Although there are a lot of things I'd do differently, the customer loved it, and I think it turned out pretty good. No pattern used, and I'd never done anything like it before.

I made this "Writer's Briefcase" based purely on the Stohlman books. The customer had some very specific requirements for the inside, which I did my best to meet.

briefcase_writers_14.jpg

Although there are a lot of things I'd do differently, the customer loved it, and I think it turned out pretty good. No pattern used, and I'd never done anything like it before.

I don't mean to trump this topic, but I have to say this is beautiful!

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

I don't mean to trump this topic, but I have to say this is beautiful!

WOW - that is really pretty! thanks for all of the comments, I guess part of my problem is that I am afraid to make mistakes, but that is how people have to learn. It is expensive to make mistakes....but I know it is what i have to do. I have questions though like what oz. of leather do you use for the outside, inside, etc.

Good job, it is a beautiful case!

Thanks, ATX, I appreciate that.

I hope it makes my point, though. I had never made anything like it. In fact, I've not made anything like it since then. I used the 3 Stohlman case making books as my guide, and managed to get through just fine. I turn to those three books more than any other book in my library. You can follow the patterns in there, but it's primarily a guide for showing you how to do lots of things that you might need for your own, custom projects. Just make your needed adjustments to the patterns, and go for it! :)

WOW - that is really pretty! thanks for all of the comments, I guess part of my problem is that I am afraid to make mistakes, but that is how people have to learn. It is expensive to make mistakes....but I know it is what i have to do.

If you follow Al's guides, and carefully plan things out based on his incredible resource in those three books, you won't make any mistakes that you'll really regret, or cause you to start over. Sure, you might do some things better the next time. Your cases will surely get better and better with each one you make, but definitely don't sweat it. With those books, it's almost like having him right there in your shop with you. :)

I have questions though like what oz. of leather do you use for the outside, inside, etc.

I usually work with relatively thin hides, between 5 and 8 ounces. I rarely get anything really heavy, and I'll only sometimes get something thinner if I know I'll need/use it for something. To add stiffness, I'll glue a piece of paperboard (like from the back of a notepad) between the layers of leather for the front, back, and spine.

Good job, it is a beautiful case!

Thanks! I was as apprehensive as you are when I made it, but I bit my lip, told myself "just DO it" and gave it the ol' college try. I'm still proud of it, even if I would do some things differently. :)

-Greg

briefcase_writers_14.jpg

Replace the notebook with a marble slab, make the compartments a little bigger, and I can see this being a portable leather carver's briefcase.

Just the sort of thing I'd want to take to the inlaws' with me when I want some quiet time ;)

Beautiful work :)

Replace the notebook with a marble slab, make the compartments a little bigger, and I can see this being a portable leather carver's briefcase. Just the sort of thing I'd want to take to the inlaws' with me when I want some quiet time ;)

Hey, now THERE'S an idea! I wonder if anyone has made a "portable workshop" in a nicely tooled/crafted case? Just the bare necessities to start/complete basic projects when you're traveling or something. You'd need some marble, maul/mallet, Lucky-7 plus other fave tools, a couple knives, some small containers of certain chemicals (dyes, dressings, finishes), your favorite applicators (daubers/sponge/wool), a couple small spools or lace and thread with appropriate needles. Maybe an awl or a set of punches. Then all of that cased up nicely with dedicated pouches/ties for everything. You could even design it to stand up a certain way when working. Of course, the whole thing would be nicely tooled/accented in your favorite style. :) It would be perfect for those who do fairs and stuff, to easily break out some work during slow times or to show people how it's done, or for teachers that do classes/seminars for clubs and such. :)

If anyone's done such a thing, I'd love to see it! :)

Beautiful work :)

Thank you kindly! :)

-Greg

Hey, now THERE'S an idea! I wonder if anyone has made a "portable workshop" in a nicely tooled/crafted case?

I use a Painter's briefcase that is made out of nylon (shhh, don't tell anyone here), anyways, it has pockets galore and some are attached by velcro. Some pockets are made out of netting material so they are visable and breath. I the larger portion, there is room for a small slab (6x10), mallet, tools, etc. It works out for now, but it will eventually give out for two reasons

#1 it is made out of nylon which will with the appropriate amount of stress will give.

#2 it is not made for leathercraft products.

I depend a lot on my Tandy LF for stuff like slab, water, sponge, cutting board, etc so I don't have to take but just the essentials.

:whatdoyouthink: