Rawhide

Swivel knife box

I stole this idea from Peter Main and made myself a box to carry my swivel knives in. It's parts are a cigar box from Joann fabric, a few layers of foam (I took a throw-able flotation cushion from wal-mart and cut it open to get the foam out), some rare earth magnets, and some velvet.

Here are a couple of pictures.

I haven't finished it yet, but I will probably antique it.

Marlon

Box_Top_sm.jpg

Box_Interior_sm.jpg

post-3307-1203221344_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1203222070_thumb.jpg

Super nice carving Marlon:-)

and a great idea...

Thanks Tina.

Again, I can't take credit for the idea. That was Peter Main's.

Marlon

love the carving, but i love the swivel knives even more!! where did you get the ones with the brown handles?

That is an truly beautiful knife box!

If I were to dye that I think I'd paint black dye onto the backgrounding, a layer of sealer and then antique it.

I think, that is. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw it and I usually go with the first instinct.

Whatever the final result is gonna be I know it'll be good, I've seen your stuff before.

Great job!

Tom

love the carving, but i love the swivel knives even more!! where did you get the ones with the brown handles?

Wow, 2 A.S. Knives? I just got mine and it rocks. Great box and carving. I like it.

Roo, That is the a Tandy knife. A.S. Swivel knife. 5/8" Barrel, leather wrapped. Nice but pretty big. I love mine but have to get an angled blade if there is one.

Wow,

Marlon, beautiful, beautiful work. Gotta do one of those for myself....I really like it. Great carving.... no black just my opinion.

Dave Theobald

Wow, Marlon,

That carving is beautiful. You've got some real talent. I like it, I like it alot. Can't wait to see the finished product.

John

WOW!!

I think everyone else hit the nail on the head. Very nice work indeed!

Regards,

Nick

Looks great! I would dye it black, .......just kidding. Some oil and antique would be about right.

That really is nice Marlon. You did a great job on the carving. I bet Peter would be proud seeing what you did with his idea. Only one thing missing, that tiny signiture :rofl:

Thanks for all the wonderful comments guys, I thought it came out pretty good. I think I may Neat lac it and antique it. I don't think color dying is true sheridan.

As far as the two AS swivel knives. The first one I got at cost from Tandy, because I fixed a piece of machinery for them. The second one, I bought with the 50% discount on one item sale they had about 2 months ago. The first silver one is also an AS, but the knurled type 3/8 inch barrel. The last silver one on the far right is a Henley with the Peter Main special blade (awsome knife).

I don't think you can have too many swivel knives. It beats having to change blades any day. Even though I have my screwdriver and allen wrench attached to some magnets in the lid. (you can't see the allen wrench because it's so dark.)

Clay,

I really thought about trying to do that, but I digress. That's just too darn tiny for me to try and match. Anyway I have one "small" :rofl: initial there in the middle.

Marlon

Great idea and beautiful workmanship!

Marlon, you just doing the top or are you going to cover the whole box and stitch the parts together? More tooling, ya know"bigger canvas"? I also vote no black (sorry Tom), if anything I'd go deep brown on the outside borders and around your name and let the floral and lettering stay lighter, show off your work. Looks great.GH

Marlin - The carving and tooling is an eye stopper. I just hope I can be that good some day.

Edited by Cecil

Awesome work Marlin, and a great idea from Peter. I'm one of those who like a little black in the background to give contrast. I think it makes the artwork pop out, but like most avid motorcycle enthusiests I've always liked black.

Steve

Edited by outcast

I think I will just cover the top.

Thanks for the additional comments.

Marlon

marlon, any chance you can show me a photo of the different cuts from the swivels with an explanation, i dont know much about swivels and i am looking to buy a new one, i think my 30 year old one needs to be retired!

thanks

Sure,

Let me get out some leather and I'll try and show visually. This will be hard to see on the photos, but each blade cuts very differently, some cut narrow & deep, some wide & deep, some shallow and wide, etc...

Basically I have a 3/8" hollow ground straight blade, this is what I do most of my traditional carving with on anything 4/5 oz and above. Next I have a 1/4" hollow ground detail blade that has an angle to it. This is used for finer work, sheridan would be an example. Next is a filigree blade (steep angle) this is used for extreme fine detail that has to be cut with some depth. Lastly I have the Peter Main special. It is a blade that is almost straight, but has a slight angle, and it has a wide bevel to it, this I use for accent cuts, and carving on 3 oz or less leather. It will open a cut better without having to go deep, due to it's wide bevel.

3_8_straight.JPG

1_4_Detail.JPG

1_4_Filigree.JPG

post-3307-1203284350_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1203284393_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1203284441_thumb.jpg

Here's the Peter Main Blade. (couldn't get them all in the same post)

Marlon

PM_Blade.jpg

post-3307-1203285167_thumb.jpg

thanks for the quick reply...sorry another question...am i right in that the blade is the most important part and the fancy looking A.S brown handle works as well as the basic A.S? If i am looking to do some basic carving in thin leather (2mm) what would you recommend? Probably not sheridan, more like the evil dude i did and other tattoo flash stuff.

thanks again

Actually the knife and the blade are most important if you plan to do a lot of carving. However to answer your question, the A.S. you have will fit the bill just fine. It's a ton better than the craftool swivel knife.

As for the blade on thin leather, that Peter Main blade is designed for exactly that. If you remember, there was a carving Peter did with the title Happy Everything (it should be floating around here somewhere). He carved that out on 1mm leather! The Hollow Ground blades won't be very good for thin leather.

Marlon

big thanks :hug: