EricaJane

Pfaff 1245 - How To Choose Sewing Machine

I am hoping for some insight on how to evaluate a potential sewing machine.  I have come across two machines that are being auctioned off and I want to ensure they are what I need and that they are in working order etc.  Currently there is very little info posted about them, but I have messaged the auctioneer asking for more plus more photos.  Ideally I'll evaluate as much as I can and, if all checks out so far, then I will drive down to evaluate them in person before bidding. So, what do I need to look for and what do I need to ask?  Are there any significant red flags I need to watch for?

The machines are:

Pfaff 1245-706/47-6/01

Simard 1245-706/35-5/01-CLPMN

In regards to what I hope to do with them, I believe that I will mainly be sewing belts, dog collars and bags, but ideally (in a perfect world!) I'd love it if the machine could handle stitching 2 pieces of 8-10oz veg tan together when my husband does holsters etc.  I also do a bit of fabric reupholstery, but have another machine I can use for that.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated! @Uwe @Wizcrafts

37 minutes ago, EricaJane said:

The machines are:

Pfaff 1245-706/47-6/01

Simard 1245-706/35-5/01-CLPMN

The main problem with the PFAFF's in general in Ontario is the cost of parts/repairs/accessories as they are a lot more expensive then your typical Juki and Juki clone machines. The Simard machine is probably a clone of the PFAFF. I personally stay away from PFAFF machines mainly due to associated costs.

37 minutes ago, EricaJane said:

Are there any significant red flags I need to watch for?

Look for signs of wear like paint worn off base, groves cut in thread guides, missing parts, clutch motor, damaged table. Does the machine look like it was rode hard and put away wet.

If possible post some photo's or link to the site as there maybe some photo's that may help evaluate the machines.

kgg

Thank you!