I'm in the process of making my first tote bag and seeking advice on the best approach. I'm planning to use 2-3oz semi-aniline chrome-tanned leather with a soft temper for the exterior. For the interior lining, I'll be using 1-2oz semi-aniline chrome-tanned calf skin with a soft temper. The dimensions of the bag are 16.5"W x 10.6"H x 4.3"D.

1. Should I consider using any stabilizer to maintain the bag's upright structure?

2. Additionally, I'm wondering what material would be suitable for the bag's bottom?

3. Should I glue lining with exterior or only glue the edges?

Edited by knightfox
Added tags

2 hours ago, knightfox said:

I'm in the process of making my first tote bag and seeking advice on the best approach. I'm planning to use 2-3oz semi-aniline chrome-tanned leather with a soft temper for the exterior. For the interior lining, I'll be using 1-2oz semi-aniline chrome-tanned calf skin with a soft temper. The dimensions of the bag are 16.5"W x 10.6"H x 4.3"D.

1. Should I consider using any stabilizer to maintain the bag's upright structure?

2. Additionally, I'm wondering what material would be suitable for the bag's bottom?

3. Should I glue lining with exterior or only glue the edges?

I'm wondering why you're using soft leather and then wanting it to stand up? I made a huge tote with soft outer and soft pigskin glued in liner. Never made to stand up. I built it with a shoulder strap to help with the weight. It's made hundreds of trips to the supermarket and gets loaded up with all the heavy stuff. The strap leaves two hands for two other bags.

Thanks Toxo for the reply. I'm trying to make tote similar to Coach or Michael Kors or Kate Spade bags. All these brands use soft leather but their tote standup. 

8 hours ago, knightfox said:

Thanks Toxo for the reply. I'm trying to make tote similar to Coach or Michael Kors or Kate Spade bags. All these brands use soft leather but their tote standup. 

Maybe their leather is soft-er or thicker or front/back panels are softer but the gussets are thicker. Maybe they have "bones" in them like the old fashioned corsets. No way thin soft leather can stand up on its own. Maybe the examples you're looking at are filled with items that help it stand. Pictures might help. 

2003951488_Screenshot2024-06-10at6_08_11PM.thumb.png.d793bb6ed44529116d73e06f7c6aa893.png

Added picture for reference.

May I ask what thickness of soft outer you used and whether you lined the pigskin fully or only the edges? If I used 2-3oz soft leather, should I glue the liner fully or only the edges. Do you think adding an enforcement like cordura or canvas between liner and outer will prevent stretching?