TwoCrow

Rein Weights

I know the buttons added to the reins are fuctional in that they add weight and ballance to the lines. I was curious if there was a "Rull of Thumb" when adding the buttons? I'm looking to finish up a pair and your imput would be great.

Reins1.jpg

Reins2.jpg

post-5234-1203277011_thumb.jpg

post-5234-1203277023_thumb.jpg

absolutely beautiful, love the colors

EXCELLENT!! What a beautiful job. Wish I could do something like that.

ArtS

TwoCrow

Nice work I like the colors. As far as how far the knots go I read in Woolery's book they usally go anywhere from 16 to 22 inches from the outside of the eye. Hope this helps Mike

From what limited knowledge I have on the subject, the knots on the reins are as you say to add weight. The appropriate amount depends on a few things.

- Whether or not rein chains will be used

- Depending on user do they like the weight closer to the bit or futher up the rein towards the hands.

- the use of long buttons and ring knots and where they are placed puts the wieght at different places on the reins creating a different type of "feel" for the horse and rider.

- of course if you are making the reins for someone who doesn't really know what "feel" is then just put the knots where ever you think they look the best.

I have never braided reins myself before so I may or may not know what the .... I'm talking about.

Your work looks well done, I hope to do as well some day,

Rob Gerbitz

What is the main purpose for the reins???

For me (just one opinion in a million of riders) I want my weight placed where the drape of the reins will be. This is determined by the level of training and discipline of the horse and rider and the length of the horse's neck.

Example - Western pleasure horses have a lot of drape and most of the weight is placed directly under the crest of the horses neck. (even adding wieghted ferrules in that section). Reining and Working cow horses have minimal drape on their romals and the weight is usally closer to the bit. Someone using them for trail riding might only need what you have done already. Every horse and rider combination are going to need/want/use something different.

When you take the romal into consideration we add another variable; how much weight does the rider feel comfortable with. The weight on the romal helps the rider control the drape and feel to the horse while riding one handed. For me, I change the weight mostly with my Poppers (stingers/wackers/Tails).

Reins chains come in different lengths to help change the feel/weight of the braided reins. I dont use them so how the different lengths effect things I cant say.

When placing buttons on the reins we also have to take into consideration the life of the reins - This is more important when working with rawhide but also affects leathers. Buttons that are place tightly together will keep reins from bending. Most knots are placed around an inch apart to give more freedom of movement to reins. So the use for the reins also affects how tighlty we can place our knots. Just something to keep in mind and again is a personal preference.

What it comes down to is personal preference and knowledge of the rider. Most folks dont know and will ride in what ever they bought off of the shelf or you make for them.

Your reins are beautiful and once you determine your purpose and horse for them the knot placement will work itself out.

Heather

I thank you all for the input.

I think I will get some nice rein chains (I posted help in Hardware, no reply yet) and not go crazy with the buttons.

I was always told that " The bit equals the weight of the reins, chains and romal. The romal equals the weight of the reins and the chains."

Adding knots would help balance the equation, but chain choice is more critical.

I recently starting twisting my own chains from fencing wire (picket or dummy wire) and they seem to have held up for the last half year of cowboying full time.

I haven't made reins yet but I plan on doing it very soon, so I'll be waiting for the answers posted here.

And your reins are LOVELY. Your braiding and buttons are perfect! What kind of leather do you use?

Edited by entiendo