Chitin

How long after oiling to wait before finishing?

How long should I wait after oiling my leather to put a top finish on it?

I think to be safe you should wait several hours, or overnight. Give the oil time to soak in and even out. I haven't used super shene over oil. If you haven't used it before, I would be sure to try it on scrap first to see how it works. Surprises at this point aren't usually much fun.

Clay

Chitin,

Although I use LeatherSheen (Feibings) and not SuperSheen, I would have to suspect they are either, 1. similar or 2. the same. They are a water based acrylic (have been told) so I let the oil pretty well soak in and even out - usually 24 hours. I do that anyway to make sure the oil is bringing the leather to the color and feel I want. Then apply the Sheen. That said, I have oiled a checkbook, sewn it up, and immediately finished it with no problems. I have had others show me pieces that "fogged" doing the same. I have not used the spray sheens so can't comment on that. I use a heck of a lot of the acrylic finishes on personal goods like wallets, checkbooks, planners and briefcases. Seem to be the most durable and water resisitant for me.

Bruce Johnson

Fantastic! That's exactly what I needed to know. Also, if someone is going to be wearing something, do you coat the flesh side as well?

Sorry to drag a thread back from the dead but...

If I'm doing something that will be worn I generally don't dye the flesh side. I do coat it with a finish though. 

My personal method: tool or stamp then one light coat of neatsfoot. Dry at least overnight. Sometimes as little as 8 or up to 16 hours. Then a second coat if antiquing. If not then dye. 

That again dries at least 8 hours then buffed and coated.