Sign in to follow this  

Notebook binders

Yes, I actually do somethings that are not motorcycle seats! Just thought I would post a couple of notebook binders that I have done in the last year. Oh I made the pens too. They are a lot of fun to do. The holster was done for my son when he graduated from the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

post-327-1171027507_thumb.jpg

post-327-1171027583_thumb.jpg

post-327-1171027618_thumb.jpg

David: I like the backgrounding on the notebooks. What is the tool used? I'm always looking for something different & I like the background. Thanks. russ

Hmm, unless I miss my guess, that looks to me like an A888 or something similar. . . I could be wrong, though. ;) I like the narrow veins on the leaves of the mahogany-colored notebook. . . what tool was that? The (Glock?) holster looks neat as well. . .

Dave, would you describe what finish technique you used for both of those notebooks? Thanks.

LBum

Hi David,

Guess I missed seeing these somehow. I really like some of your swivel knife work. The short cuts followed by the long decorative cuts on the leaves are pretty neat. The knife work border looks good too. It's a nice added touch.

Clay

Thanks for the comments guys,

The backgrounder tool on the notebooks was indeed an A888-2 from Tandy. It is tiny and gets into the tough spots.

As for the finish technique I used Tandy Pro dye....buckskin followed by Fiebings sheridan brown antiqueing paste. And lastly Neetsfoot oil for protection.

The Glock holster was just a scrap of leather left over from a bike seat....It is lined with some black one oz. hide. I would put some of that antiqueing paste on it if I were doing it over again. I did do another identical holster for a customer that simply had FBI written on the front in the traditional block lettering.....It was antiqued and looked much better. But I never did get a pic of it before he took it home.

The veining on the leaves was just a broad beveler B-197 I think and some knife work if I recall correctly.

My notebooks seem to vanish whenever someone has a birthday.....I finally made this one for me. My first Hermann Leather project....Boy is it ever nice to tool. I like it... a lot!

Dave

IMG_0468.JPG

post-327-1172972845_thumb.jpg

My notebooks seem to vanish whenever someone has a birthday.....I finally made this one for me. My first Hermann Leather project....Boy is it ever nice to tool. I like it... a lot!

Dave

Beautiful ,just beautiful.

Beautiful work, Dave! And you make PENS, too?!! I just realized what an underachiever I am. :beer:

Here is the new binder finished.

Bruce, I really enjoy making pens. Wood working is very relaxing...and a lot easier on the hands than leather work is.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Dave Theobald

Ross, Ohio

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

post-327-1173043827_thumb.jpg

post-327-1173043862_thumb.jpg

I had to add this to show off the stamp that my daughter Stephany bought me for Christmas.

Dave

IMG_0474.JPG

post-327-1173044005_thumb.jpg

You're awesome, Dave. Please don't ever leave. All I can say is, "What a great guy."