Sign in to follow this  
Regis

When's the best time to apply dye?

For projects that need assembly (boxes, folders, cases, etc) when is the right time to dye and and antique? Is there coloring that will prevent or interfere with gluing or stitching? Or should all finishing be done before assembly (except perhap edges). I'm more inclined to use spirit or oil than acrylic but, am interested in impacts on glue & stitch joints. Lot of folks using various coloring and finishing products and I'd appreciate any discussion of these.

Thanks,

Regis

Hi, Regis:

I do the dyeing prior to assembly, as well, but I wait to add conditioner (like Lexol or neatsfoot oil) until the project is put together. If you're concerned about surfaces adhering during the gluing stage, simply rough up the places you plan to glue with a little sandpaper for a solid bond.

Good luck, -Alex

Oh, and there's one more reason why you should dye prior to assembly. Glue can act as a resist, so if you glue before you dye (and you're a bit sloppy, like I am :o ), you may find that your subsequent dye job turns out mottled around the glued areas...

Oh, and there's one more reason why you should dye prior to assembly. Glue can act as a resist, so if you glue before you dye (and you're a bit sloppy, like I am :o ), you may find that your subsequent dye job turns out mottled around the glued areas...

Well, funny you should mention that (as I'm trying to remove bits of glue along the edge of a simple creditcard holder I just put togather last night....

Lesson learn't

Regis