Sign in to follow this  
TZHunter

tubular rivets or quick-rivets

I have not used tubular rivets much, but have now learned that they are surely stronger than the quick-rivets. But I want the "splashed" side to look nicer, so I've ordered some caps also. How are these caps attached? Are they just hammered on? I currently just use a hammer/mallet and the simple Tandy tube rivet splasher to set the rivet, but wanted to know if another tool is needed to attach the cap. Thanks!

Tandy also sells a kit to install tubular rivets with caps. Actually the same setup used for the quick-rivets should work, if I'm thinking of the right thing.

This kit should cover it http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...?number=8105-00 Hope this helps,

John

That tandy set won't do it.

Just use a hammer. Put a thin piece of scrap leather between the rivet dome head and the anvil/hard steel surface.

And a third opinion. :)

Get a rivet press and save yourself a whole lot of grief. A Rex riveter costs around $50, and will set the caps on the rivets precisely every time.

Thanks to all! Where's the best place to get the Rex riveter (I need to order online). Do you need an additional attachment to do the splash and/or caps? I've seen some older used ones on ebay, but was afraid they wouldn't have all the attachments (if needed) to do the splash and caps.

I have a rex riveter and it seems to be useful only for the single cap rapid rivets that are easy to press together. I can't imagine a rex working with solid tubular rivets that require some force.

Ed