Sign in to follow this  
Regis

Getting help from "talented" people

While visiting sister (6 hour drive), I showed her that I was learning to carve leather. She is and extremely talented artist (painter) and I though she could give me a few tips on color and blending. I wipped out a cougar I'd carved (3rd of the same one). Only really had the outline carved and a few modeling marks. It was pretty dry. In about 5 minutes, she painted a cougar. :P I could have cut a straight line in the leather and she would have made it look like a cougar. :lol::lol::lol::begging: AND, I didn't learn a thing (this trip).

She's a sweetheart but, I will be careful of how/what I ask about someting I'm working on. I'll have to figure out how to get simple "show me slowly" answers out of her.

Soooo, beware of fast, talented, helpful people. :biggrin: Hopefully one day I'll get one that looks as good as her's!

I had a Broadcast Law professor tell me once, "Everything is easy when you know how." It's reaching the point where you "know how" that's tough. Just keep plugging away and you'll reach a point where you dazzle.

While visiting sister (6 hour drive), I showed her that I was learning to carve leather. She is and extremely talented artist (painter) and I though she could give me a few tips on color and blending. I wipped out a cougar I'd carved (3rd of the same one). Only really had the outline carved and a few modeling marks. It was pretty dry. In about 5 minutes, she painted a cougar. :P I could have cut a straight line in the leather and she would have made it look like a cougar. :lol::lol::lol::begging: AND, I didn't learn a thing (this trip).

She's a sweetheart but, I will be careful of how/what I ask about someting I'm working on. I'll have to figure out how to get simple "show me slowly" answers out of her.

Soooo, beware of fast, talented, helpful people. :biggrin: Hopefully one day I'll get one that looks as good as her's!

Next time you go, take 2 carved pieces with you. Give her one and keep one for yourself. Then try and get her to go slowy, step by step showing you what to do on the one she has while you practice on the other yourself. If you have a camera, take pictures of each step so that you can refer back to them when you are at home. Painting has been one of the hardest things for me to learn, but I trying and it is getting easier. It will for you too.

Clay

Clay,

Good idea about working one along with her. I did learn a valuable lesson though and I will put a LOT more emphisis on learning to carve well first. I learned that without good (or even any) carving, that painting on leather works and turns out a nice picture. So, for me, I'd rather have a carved figure that stands on its own in one color, dye or antique. And then, if appropriate add accents in color. For a painters like my sister, leather is just another canvas.

Regis

i'm not a leather worker...but..seems like your sis was just wanting to show of a bit...i'm a metal sculptor (at least i'd like to be...but i don't have all the equipment i need to do it right)...and my mom was/is a clay type sculptor...i made this nifty metal hand for her to put her keys on...took me about 2 days to get right...and i asked her for help with positioning tips etc....she made a hand in about 20 minutes out of clay...that looked like it was a casting of a real one...

i handed her some tinsnips and some sheet metal and told her to try that again....obviously...she couldn't do it...but by exagerating the difference in media to her...she was able to see what i was really asking for...and the next time she took her time explaining positions and steps and what to look for in natural positions etc...

maybe if you "nock her down a peg" by throwing a piece of leather and a knife down on the table...she might take a step or two back next time you ask for help