Sign in to follow this  
freak

"just put a deer on it and maybe some initials on the back"

I know it's not the best deer out there but the person i'm doing this for was so warned. LOL I was told "just put a deer on it and maybe some initials on the back". I can't, i just can't "just "do that.

I kind of like posting as i go, hope you all don't mind. I guess i could just wait till it's done but, i like to see the Work In Progress pics.

After putting lead to paper for about an hour i came up with the design for the back.

mmback01.jpg

mmnb01.jpg

mmnb02sm.jpg

mmtooled04s.jpg

post-158-1197522816_thumb.jpg

post-158-1197522841_thumb.jpg

post-158-1197522872_thumb.jpg

post-158-1197522904_thumb.jpg

Hi Freak,

I really like WIP pictures. I like what you have done with this notebook. Your "just initials" looks really nice and make for a classy back. The deer looks good too. I'm starting to realize I must have been a really slow learner cuz you (and quite a few of the rest of the people on here) are getting really good, really fast.

Thanks for showing the pictures. Cant wait to see how you finish this one.

Clay

Thanks Clay. I did a few things before i found this place. Then for almost a year i really had no time for leather but i had time at nite to read and see all the great work that was going on here. This place and all of you here have really helped me step my skills up. When i do something and see that something just is not right but i can't figure out what it is or how i can do something better, i ask and you help. Not only in skill levels have i learned but about tools. At the show i picked up some of Barry King's bevels and a swivel knife w/his blade. WOW what a HUGE difference that is. Like cutting butter and massive clean depth. I think one could bevel right thru the leather. It's also about practice practice practice also. So i wouldn't say you're a slow learner. It's just you can see what a huge diff this site is making. You and the others with your skills that help and give tips and post your work have a HUGE impact on this site. SO thanks you all !!

I'm pretty much just gonna lay down some antique on this one.

The antique will look really classy on this. Wow, it really turned out nice!

I like the way you are showing it in stages. I am thinking about doing a series of pictures like that for a braided piece I am about to start.

freak, you're talent is growing day by day. I love the WIP pics, as we can all see each step you take in the progress. Great Deer by the way, so much better than the first "Killer Deer" you showed us.

Ken

wet dye, lookout . I like the way the red with the antique came out on the biomech one. So i thought i would try it again, i dyed it green in the background of the deer. Hard to see in the pic. Anyway here's where we are now for those of you following along....

mmdye01.jpg

post-158-1197673508_thumb.jpg

Freak

It looks great!! I really like how this deer turned out. Thanks for sharing Mike

You got a wonderful 3-D look, especially on the antlers. It is really beautiful. The dye set it off nicely.

Freak ive been watching this coming along cant post on improvement as i have no idea how its done but it looks great and i would be thrilled to bits if i did one and it turned out like that so early in the learning prosses, well done, Don

Thanks everyone , i'm hoping to have this one done this weekend. I've got a few more to make but i've already told people no more till after the new year (i gotta do my x-mas shopping). This one is for a friend and he's giving it as a X-mas present to his Father-N-Law. I've just cut and dyed the inner sleeves. So hopefully tomorrow i get it all laced up. So stay tuned the fun's not over yet folks.....

It looks really good Freak. I'm glad you redrew the deer, because the first one looked like someone had shot it in the- well, you know. I called Wade in here to have a look, and he liked it too. He might get a chance to try something of his own this weekend, because it looks like we are about to get a pretty bad snow storm tomorrow.

Johanna

He might get a chance to try something of his own this weekend, because it looks like we are about to get a pretty bad snow storm tomorrow.

Johanna

That's awesome. We talked about a lot of carp but never about drawing. I bet that cat can draw, can't he. Tell'em just draw something up and get to tooling. If it's not a pattern, then it can't be compared to one and how others have done it. That's what i do. LOL !!! I look forward to the next show to see everyone again. And this time, this time i gonna enter sumtin' . Thanks for the kind words.

that looks great with the dye I really like the lettering, is it ok to pinch the idea?

Wow Freak,

That's some beautiful work. Great classy look. Thanks for sharing

Steve

Freak,

I watched along and you really turned out a very nice peice of work. Your friend's FIL will sure be pleased with it.

LOVE THE LOOK, THAT ANTIQUE REALLY SETS IT OFF.

Thank you one and thank you all. After lacing it pretty much 3 times this puppy is done and ready for delivery. I'm still having a hard time getting a good picture but, this is very close.Lacing F@!#@#$ : First time i used the roo lace from TLF. The lighter of the two browns they carry. The border of the book is black. At first i was going to use black lace but decided to use the brown, i liked the way it looked. Well while lacing i noticed the lace to be irregular. It would have runs of thinness in it , sometimes of a foot or two. Then back to normal then back to the thin carp again. Well i didn't think it was that bad at first. Then after almost having it all laced i looked it over. Big no go it looked even worse , it seemed it would get thin where i was covering more then one piece of leather or at the corners. You know the places you want the thicker at. Also when i would slice in, you could feel and see the diff. Ok this is getting long all in all at the end i went with the black roo and i think it turned out great.

that looks great with the dye I really like the lettering, is it ok to pinch the idea?
K, i think yoiur meaning of pinch and mine are WAYYYYY difference. If you're wanting to copy something well by all means have at it.Thanks for looking and following along. I'm going to try to make a light box and get some better pictures. If i am successfully i'll post new picture. Oh yeah the inside is the same as the biomech notebook i did.oops hahaha i guess pictures would of been nice. Again i used all eco-flo products.

mmfront01m.jpg

mmback01m.jpg

post-158-1197846343_thumb.jpg

post-158-1197846355_thumb.jpg

If I have learned nothing else about working with leather it is this. It doesn't matter what it looks like when you start or at any other time during the process. It only matters what it looks like when your finished. Nice looking notebook Freak and I like the deer too.

freak, the book turned out FREAKIN wonderful....I love the lace, very clean looking, and the colors are just perfect. Very well done.

Ken